Jake's Journal ~ Navigating Life

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, no Havana babies (yet). I have another one due next week, this one is more promising as she actually has had a litter before.

On Saturday (18th) I got a pair of... Champagne d'Argents! They are so beautiful and so far are a joy to have. It's really all I've been able to talk about when I'm not home. I got a buck and doe, but they are only juniors right now. The person I bought them from lives quite close to me, and they offered to have me come look at some more. I'm probably gonna pick up a proven doe from them. I love my Champagnes!

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
About 2 weeks into an experiment of mine.

I'm testing out different feeds for the rabbits. I've been running Purina Complete (16%) for a few years now, and since a few of my rabbits aren't getting up to weight until they're a year old (6 months after they should be at adult weight), I've started investigating what kind of percentages would be best for my herd.

I'm testing 3 different feeds (all locally available at farm store): Purina Complete (16%), Nutrena Nature Wise (15%) and Country Feeds (18%).

I'm mostly interested in the Purina and Nutrena ones as, while the protein content is different, fat content is as well. Purina has a 1.5% fat while Nutrena has 3.5%. (And just for knowing, Country Feeds had 1.5% as well.)

The way I'm doing it is:
I have two does (littermates) who are pregnant. One is due any day now, the other in 2 weeks. Both were bred to the same buck. I'm going to track litter size, kit size, mortality, and all that fun stuff. And compare. I'm not entirely sure they'll be any difference as all, and if there is one it may have been caused due to a variable I can't control (EX: litter size, (smaller litter=more milk/kit)). But we'll see what happens. They are also first time moms, so this may end up being a total flop.

The Country Feeds are for my Champagnes as they don't want to put weight on, and I can't add more food as I'm already filling the dish entirely (plus, that'd be more feed I go through). I'm also testing one Havana with the Country Feeds to see how that affects him and so far he's gained about 8 ounces, so maybe I'll end up going with Country Feeds entirely.

So that's my experiment. If there's questions, feel free to ask, even if you feel it's silly (it may cause me to discover something I overlooked i.e. a hidden variable). Also, has anyone else done an experiment like this?

P.S. Before I go, I've learned through 4-H's QuizBowl, these are the nutritional requirement for rabbits: 16-18% protein, 2-4% fat, and at least 16% fiber. All 3 feeds have adequate fiber (don't remember exact numbers).

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, it has bee way too long BYH. I've been keeping up with reading on here, but haven't even posted (mostly cause I've been reading on my phone and didn't remember my login info).

I suppose to give a quick update:

I'm down to 38 rabbits and am looking at selling my llamas. My family got a new dog (will post a pic within a few days). And I think that about covers it.

So have a good night BYH, I'll see you again soon.

Quick addition: Hopefully will get a few goats within the year!

Last edited:

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to see you are back!
Wait for pics on the dog:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Jake... been a while! :) But it does appear you're on an 11 month schedule... April 2015, March 2016, and now Feb 2017... Does that mean we have to wait till New Years 2018 for another/next update? :lol:

Reactions: TAH

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@TAH;
104eq9u.jpg

His name is Tucker. He's a mix of Lab and something :idunno

@Latestarter; It seems so! :lol:But no, I plan on being much more active now.

I've got 5 does (rabbits) due in about 2 weeks, so I'm gonna have a full barn again soon.

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alright, two best boxes are in, we are officially on baby watch! Three more need to go in over the next two days so it will be interesting to see who pops first. All are seasoned does except one.

On a side note, I would like people's opinions. I have a young doe (about 5 months now) who has broken a toe. What do /would you do with this doe? Sell it? Keep it as a breeder? Freezer camp? I'm quite sure the break is due to injury and not heredity.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would think a broken toe is a non-issue unless it's a show rabbit... other than that, I'd say use her however is best for you... :idunno

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was planning on making her a show rabbit, but not anymore. I'll have to see how she develops a bit more before I decide I guess. On the fence about her regardless of the toe.

And for a quick baby update, found a litter of 8 this morning, but sadly all were dead. Looks like momma stopped them. She's raised two litters before, so I'm left kinda wondering why. Should have another litter by tomorrow luckily.