JHP Homestead’s Journal

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bacon!
E0DCDA39-BDBC-4629-9358-348D2E62111C.jpeg

I smoked and sliced the bacon from my folks’ pig today. Then we had bacon cheeseburgers for dinner with the trimmings.

This bacon was surprisingly not as good looking as the bacon on other pigs we’ve done. Some areas of it were way meatier than expected, while other areas were solid fat without the expected later of muscle in between. Not sure what’s up with that, but it was still tasty!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
NOTHING beats home smoked bacon! I had a package of bacon ends from 2 years ago that I hoarded until New Years Day, then I put them in a pot of purple hull peas, gosh darn those were good! That's some beautiful bacon you got there!

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Haven’t done much worth noting in the journal the last several days. It’s been really warm for this time of year, but it’ll hopefully be getting down to more normal temps soon. A good cold spell will help the maple trees have a better season.

It’s not really homestead related, but DH and I have been working on remodeling our basement this winter. We’re turning a good chunk of the basement into an awesome master suite. Then DD and DS will each have their own room in he main level of the house.

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have some baby bunnies in the house now. 2 of my does are due tomorrow and Thursday, but one of them, Yennifer, delivered today. She had 2 litters last winter with no problems, but didn’t do a good job putting them in the nest this time. She had a great nest of fur in the back of the nest box, but had all the kits up front, exposed to the cold.

I’m not against tucking 1 or 2 in my bra, but 7 is too many for that (at least for me 🤣) so they are in the bathroom on the heater vent.

5 of the 7 were cold but still moving sluggishly, and the other 2 were cold and still when I brought them in. Hopefully they perk up and maybe 1 of the still ones will come back to life. That’d be cool.

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well 1 of the seemingly lifeless kits came back to life, which was pretty awesome. That’s the first time I’ve actually had success reviving a “dead” kit.

They’re back out with Yennifer now. She’s acting very weird though, so I’m kind of worried about her. She’s usually very laid back and is a seasoned mom, but she’s acting distressed and is grunting a lot. I hope she’s ok and takes care of the babies.

26866056-CD9C-47C0-82C3-2F5A5A718705.jpeg

Latest posts