1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

JHP Homestead’s Journal

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by JHP Homestead, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Jun 13, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I do love strawberries!! Your strawberries look much more appetizing than these strawberries:
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 14, 2019
    JHP Homestead

JHP Homestead Loving the herd life

Haha, whoops. I see you’re in Canada. Is it too cold for strawberries to be a perennial up there? Or was it just that the plants weren’t acclimated to the cold?

SA Farm and B&B Happy goats like this.
  3. Jun 14, 2019
    SA Farm

SA Farm True BYH Addict

The plants weren’t acclimated to the cold. We don’t have a strawberry patch yet, but once set in they shouldn’t have too much trouble weather-wise :p

4. Jun 14, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Nice batch of strawberries.

SA Farm, JHP Homestead and AmberLops like this.
  5. Jun 16, 2019
    JHP Homestead

Had a pretty good weekend. Saturday DH trimmed our horse’s feet, then butchered a few rabbits for the dogs. Froze most of it, so the dogs are set for a few weeks now. During this time I had our 8 week old in the baby carrier so I just puttered around a little.
    Saturday afternoon it was DH’s turn to carry the baby, so he brushhogged our pasture with her in the carrier, while I picked 10 more pounds of strawberries. It rained in the evening so we watched a movie and played with DS.

Today it rained off and on all day, so other than going to church and checking on the pig who’s about to farrow, we stayed inside. I made a small batch of strawberry jam and made some Angel Food cake to go with beef short ribs for supper tonight. I hulled the rest of the strawberries from yesterday but didn’t do anything else with them yet. I think I might try making some fruit leather with them tomorrow. I think there’s probably 10 or 20 more pounds of strawberries out in the patch. Any recommendations of other ways to process them?

SA Farm, AmberLops, Baymule and 2 others like this.
  6. Jun 16, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

Strawberry sorbet? Strawberry lemonade/limeade? ;)

SA Farm likes this.
  7. Jun 17, 2019
    SA Farm

SA Farm True BYH Addict

There’s always freezing them. My Mom would cook them up with rhubarb (and sugar!) and can it for a dessert dish. Went really nicely with tapioca pudding :drool

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  8. Jun 24, 2019
    JHP Homestead

It’s been a busy week. Our pig Gert farrowed but had a stuck piglet. Neither of us or the vet could get it out, so we ended up butchering her for meat and are raising her 5 live piglets ourselves.

We process our meat ourselves, which is much easier when planned in advance. We usually do it in the cool weather, on a weekend, after sending our 3 year old off to relatives. This makes it so we can do a whole pig ourselves in less than a day and a half. This time, since it was an emergency with hot weather and we had several previous obligations, it’s taking about a week.

We have the ribs and pork chops to cut up, then will be done until next week when the hams and bacon are done curing.

30# maple sausage:
    351FB48A-83F9-4764-8C09-E6683F2C04DE.jpeg

Temp fridge. This is most of the pig minus the hams, which are curing in coolers with ice.
    EEE48CEC-114E-42D5-9CD0-E52BCD603E05.jpeg

We’ve still been picking strawberries from our patch too. I think DH picked 15 pounds or so the other day, several pounds of which I gave away to a friend. Then I made some more fruit leather and popsicles. Also freezing some in ice cubes to put in lemonade. After the unplanned pig butchering, I don’t have much space in the freezer, but I think I’ll freeze some too, for making mixed berry jam when the blackberries are ready.

Bruce, AmberLops, CntryBoy777 and 4 others like this.
  9. Jun 24, 2019
    Genipher

Genipher True BYH Addict

Sausage! :drool

All this talk of strawberries reminds me... I think I missed strawberry season here on the Oregon coast. :(

10. Jun 24, 2019
    JHP Homestead

I don’t know if Michigan and Oregon have similar weather, but our strawberry season is about 2 weeks behind this year. Maybe there’s still a chance.