Just put in an offer for the land next door!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, living with my DH is a pain.
Log house that has the fence on our land is for sale and we are having a survey company put up stakes for our line.
Then, it seems, DH is going to either get the seller to pay for a new fence or the land they have been using or idk what...he's a pain like that....

I am still building my second fence row.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ugh!

Anyone know how to figure out when a fence was installed????

House was built 1 year before the 15yr needed for them to own land by mantaining it. But does that still count when someone builds their fence in the wrong spot?

Trying to figure it all out, but DH is a pain to deal with.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
So found pics from 94 with the fence. Ugh, husbands suck, they need to listen better! =/

Ah well.

Worse yet, he already signed the contract for the surveyor to add some sticks. Can't cancel, so wasted 400$. Bad husband!

And a ton of fencing is too far gone in trees or plainly missing...So that's a huge expense.....

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who has been paying taxes on the disputed property?
(The total # of acres of both your neighbor's property and yours is spelled out in both deed and property tax statement)
If the deed (simply for instance) says neighbor owns 100 acres and you own 100 acres, but fenceline to fenceline, you only have 95 acres, but have been paying taxes on 100 acres you may be able to seek financial recoupment from your neighbor since you have been paying property taxes on part of 'his' property. But, this should have all been taken care of when you bought the property, thru a title company guaranteeing the property as being true to deed and proper survey. Did you not have a survey done prior to closing and walk the property lines at that time? Obtain an attorney now, knowledgable in property issues, and contact the title company you went thru at purchase if you have not already done so. That is what a title company is for--to guaranty the title.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Who has been paying taxes on the disputed property?
(The total # of acres of both your neighbor's property and yours is spelled out in both deed and property tax statement)
If the deed (simply for instance) says neighbor owns 100 acres and you own 100 acres, but fenceline to fenceline, you only have 95 acres, but have been paying taxes on 100 acres you may be able to seek financial recoupment from your neighbor since you have been paying property taxes on part of 'his' property. But, this should have all been taken care of when you bought the property, thru a title company guaranteeing the property as being true to deed and proper survey. Did you not have a survey done prior to closing and walk the property lines at that time? Obtain an attorney now, knowledgable in property issues, and contact the title company you went thru at purchase if you have not already done so. That is what a title company is for--to guaranty the title.

6k for the survey, DH didn't want to pay that.

Told him that if they own that sliver, we own the larger half circle on our left, so he needs to get actual legal help and not piddle around with his mother's advice.
I married a child! Ugh

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty expensive surveys in your neck of the woods.
I've had 3 surveys done since 2007. One was a rough wooded parcel of 124.5 acres with a winding river setting property line on one side ($1300 survey cost) another in 2009 to subdivide that same parcel back into 3 equal ~41.4ac parts according to a 40 year old survey and deeds ($500 survey cost), and the last to subdivide one of those 41.4 ac in 2011 into 2 parcels containing 17.4 ac and 24ac (again $500 survey cost). When I sold the 17.4ac last year, the buyer's lender insisted on a new survey and I think it cost him only $400--wasted money since it surveyed out exactly as the 2011 survey did--all the steel markers were still in place, and his survey included a mandatory elevation run from local known elevation marker (state highway bridge) and he recieved the certificate from the surveyor a week or 2 later stating his elevation.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Call a different surveyor.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call a different surveyor.
Called 4 of them. One just over 6k, another for $2750, then $3500, and $4800.

Surveyor for 2 small sections of fence came today and marked it. I decided to see where the barbed wire fence was while I was there and there is no fence in front of nor behind the creek in the trees. The section behind our 5 has some barbed wire, then it vanishes. I don't know about the long stretch at the back still.

Latest posts