Kaye's other than rabbits journal

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Still haven't found the nest... this has been driving me crazy. I have been all through the woods around my house. I found a mysterious burrow behind the chicken coop, so now I am going to set up game cameras and my live trap. We will see who lives there...
in other news, we had a buck (5 point) get poached from our property two nights ago.
I have been watching him grow since his mother was killed by a car two years ago. From a fawn. He and his sister were in a bad situation. They were VERY lucky to have a (pregnant) doe take up with them. She nursed them for a while and they thrived. I mean, I have pictures of him his entire life. Right up until the day he died. I know it's not a 'pet', or 'livestock', but I am VERY upset right now. I know he was taken at night because I heard the shot. Then I heard the truck.
Then, to top it all off, the next morning one of my neighbor's son came over and told my husband that he killed a deer last night, but said it was somewhere else. I wish I could have been there when he said that. I am not really one for violence, but I know I would have knocked him out.
It made me sick when I heard the shot. I just felt that it was him. At like 11:30 at night. Then I heard who it was and that this person was bragging about it!!
I'm literally sick.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Calling to leave a message now

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kid sounds pretty stupid telling people he poached a deer.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So as soon as I found the nest I was looking for, my other Serama went to sitting. Nice. I found my turkey's nest and something is getting her eggs. SO.... I decided to put the turkeys up. It's getting close to turkey season and people around here OBVIOUSLY poach. So I have no doubt that there's hen killers out there. This just gave me the kick in the butt I needed to fix the coops and put them up. Now they're mopey and look sad, but it's for their own good. Calling tomorrow about Elvis babies. I can't wait!!

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I lied. I didn't call about Elvis babies today. I went to spend the day with my mom and daughter because my mom is a work-aholic. Never get to see her.
I also got to see my niece for a little bit today!! It has been over a month since the last time I saw her and was 8 months before that. I cried when I saw her for the first time in those 8 months. I love my TaterPot

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today is the day of the babies!!
Alice had 6 last night (early this morning), Mocha had 8, and now my bobcat is having hers as I am typing this. We have two so far!!
All are fat and healthy. Alice and Mocha had kale,potatoes, and sunflower seeds for treats along with their usual hay and pellets. Going to give them a sip of Gatorade later before I go to bed. I'm up to four turkey eggs so far and I'm sure my Serama is going to hatch soon. I have to look back to the date.
Now I am going to roast 'smarshsmallows' with my daughter

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All in the maternity ward are nice and cute. lol
Alice and Mocha are great and have all of their kits with fat bellies!!
Bob had four kittens. Two have bobs. I'm thinking of docking their tails. lol
Turkeys had no eggs today.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The agouti bob kitten. This is my favorite. The other 3 are beautiful as well, but they're tabby patterns. Still unusual looking, but not as much as him

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1421.JPG
    IMG_1421.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1424.JPG
    IMG_1424.JPG