Keeping coyotes away....?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drop poison on every carcass you come across.

Illegal in many states to do that.

My sheep are tiny, 100# or so for rams, 80# or so for ewes. Lambs are 2-4 pounds at birth.

My LGD has been doing a lot of barking at night lately, even the pet dogs joined in until it got too cold for the two short haired dogs. The mutt still barks, she's got crazy winter fur all the time.

I couldn't imagine living out in the more western states and have any livestock at the same time.

Jakkat

Just born
Reaction score
We have Mexican Red Wolves inter-breeding with coyotes here. I've seen them several times. Game warden has said they are here. Bigger and not as shy as coyotes. Wolf/Coyote type of howl, bigger with more hair. So, do u think 2 more dogs like the Australian Cattle Dogs (plus our GP/Anatolia mix & Jack Russell) keep the coyotes and half breeds away from our house? I'm also thinking about getting some donkeys or mules and let them run wild on our ranch. I hate coyotes!

Jakkat

Just born
Reaction score
We also have wild hogs and mountain lions. Our ranch. Our paradise.
image.jpg

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I see it, coyotes are like smart, beefy dogs gone feral. Kind of like dingos. I believe in all States, coyotes are considered a pest and you are allowed to hunt and kill them as you wish. At least you can here.
Here, you (and anyone else) can shoot or trap anything that is caught harming, chasing or otherwise harassing livestock or damaging crops. If in doubt about the legalities, the 3S rule is in effect--- shoot shovel and shut up. coyotes, feral dogs, alligators, feral hogs, buzzards, crows, cougars, bobcat, my dogs, neighbors dogs, rustlers--got them all around here--if they run newborn calves, try to steal, or do something destructive to my pasture forage, they do so at their own peril.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Illegal in many states to do that.

I couldn't imagine living out in the more western states and have any livestock at the same time.
While we have more predators we also have more space. And most of the time rabbits, mice, and deer are way easier for them to eat than our sheep. We lost twelve sheep to domestic dogs one year but we've never lost one to a coyote.

Mfrantz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i would use Australian shepherd. they are very good barkers and if trained, agressive. we take ours camping and she has scared off foxes and coyotes several times. had her scare off a pack of coyotes once.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
The downside to Australian Shepherds they are small enough that coyotes can inflict a lot of damage if not kill them. Coyotes are clever and will have one lure the dog towards the pack and then the whole pack attacks. I've known quite a few people lose their Aussies and border collies.

Mfrantz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thats true a larger dog would probably be best. hear the tibetan mastiffs are good, if you are willing to spend a few thousand dollars lol.

Mfrantz

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
thats cool that you got your hands on some yaks