Keeping Predators away.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I tried the Irish Spring soap around here but it didn't work. I had some luck with a deer deterrent but it was pricey, lasted only a few days and it's main ingredient was sulfur. Rotten eggs work to keep deer away but they attract flies and dogs seem to always know how to find the worst smelling stuff to perfume their coats with. Pee works around here. It becomes more potent if you let it sit for a few days before you put it around, just hold your breath while you pour it.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm, I actually like the pee idea. I had actually discussed that with my husband last night lol. I suggested we have a few of the neighbors over and have them "process some beer" around our fence line ;-) Where are you guys located? I am in southern New England. I am still fighting with my phone, but I will post pictures of my setup later today.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
NE Kentucky here. That'd be a long trip for me to help process beer. Lol

I think deer are just like everything else. What works for one won't for another.

Maybe the nitrates concentrate in the old urine or it ferments? Never tried saving urine for the purpose of deer but did use it to make black powder as a kid.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am in NE Mississippi.

You'll need to have a 'processing party' once or twice a week to keep enough scent or you could rely on a few strategically placed wooden posts.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Be careful though.. In my neck of the woods that would considered ( subject to a fine ) other wise some one will find a way to tax it as a chemical.!!:lol:

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I currently have 6 ND out with my 15.2 hand horse. Their pasture is surrounded by the electric goat fence from premier one with part of it being the 2" electric tape..4 strands of it starting at about 4 " off the ground. The charger is a Cube and packs a wallop. My question is this..is that enough predator protection or is there something else you would suggest? At this point a guardian animal is not a possibility although I am thinking of possible adding a Llama. The permanent fencing plan is to use the 48" metal mesh and I am thinking that I should run a hot wire above the top and along the bottom on the outside to deter digging. Unfortunately, we won't be able to put in the permanent fencing for at least another month.
Do you think my horse would be a deterent? The predators of which I speak are coyotes, bobcats and bears. I am thinking the coyote is the biggest concern. I live in CT if that helps. I was told that there are some coyotes across town that have taken down a few deer so I am a bit nervous..but I hate to lock the goats in the barn nonstop as well.
Where in CT are you? I'm also in CT, in Coventry, and have the same predator concerns. What we mostly see is hawks, coyotes, fox, and fisher cats, but I know there are bobcats in other parts of town, and twice this year mountain lions have been seen on South Street (although the DEP is still playing Emperor's New Clothes and refusing to acknowledge it.) I don't have a LGD at present but am always open to the idea; a distant cousin in George who raises goats regularly lost kids every year to coyotes until she got a pair of maremmas, and then, poof - no more losses. None. Not one. That was 15 years ago. My goats are in the barn at night and in the pen during the day, with just garden variety cattle fence. To my knowledge, the only predation that's occurred has been on the chickens (hawks and fox), and that's a very rare event due to Turk, the 15 pound Blue Orpington rooster with small swords on his legs. I'm also not opposed to keeping a .22 by the door. I *really* dislike killing things - I'm a nurse practitioner and I'm all about saving lives - but come for my livestock and I'll give you a bad case of heartburn. I don't miss, either.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So CT Fish and Wildlife is playing the same game as KY's?! There have been a few spotted in our area but always dismissed. About 10 yrs ago there was one spotted at an elementary school. Cops came out and saw it as well. F&W didn't see it so it wasn't a mtn lion. Pffft. They also said black bears weren't here either until walked through a small town tearing up trash cans in broad daylight @25 yrs ago.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hilary, I'm in Thomaston. I did some research on the Mountain Lion and why the states don't acknowledge them. Apparently, once they acknowledge their existence they have to put money aside to spend on protecting them! But I don't know how many they have to know are around before they can publicly accept that they are around. We know there are active bear populations around here. The school bus driver actually stopped the bus last Spring so the kids could watch one walk through a yard lol.
How long have you had goats, Hilarie and what kind do you have? We are also active in our local 4H group and O don't think anyone in our group has lost any to coyotes..but I do know one that lost some to a bear years ago. I have not had any issues myself, yet. But I prefer to prevent any issues. We used to refer to our "temporary" chicken coop as "Chicken Fort Knox. " We had it surrounded by a chain link fence, It had a mesh top, poultry netting also along the sides and 2x6 laid flat around the perimeter.

hilarie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tapsmom - I like that - Chicken Fort Knox :p I agree, prevention is best. My sister next door has what my husband calls the Chicken Taj Mahal - a beautiful fenced and covered pen, plus access to fenced pasture. In a perfect world I'd do the same, but he is determined to free range ours, and.....you pick your fights. The goats are MINE, and I get to direct their care. I've had them for 3 years, and there are 6 of them: one LaMancha and the rest LaMancha/Oberhasli and Saanen/Oberhasli crosses. A motley crew, perhaps, but the adult does (there are 3 of them) are all pregnant and all excellent milkers with great personalities.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts