Kidding season at sweet horizon minis

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully having baby goats in 12 days! Last year she went exactly 145 days so it will be interesting to see if she does this year as well
4959DFE8-A117-47B7-A637-6231B3E159D7.jpeg
18155A56-FFC8-449F-8C6F-991DC2B9C530.jpeg
2583AC27-CEAA-4705-AB9C-DB8BD17877A3.jpeg
these photos were taken yesterday evening (3/7/20)
7117B1C1-772B-4B60-8FB8-626F0283C159.jpeg
blue was enjoying the sunshine yesterday (first time in about a week that was nice outšŸ˜‚)
C004D861-6575-4CC6-8004-41B9D4963886.jpeg
Yes piper is supposed to be whitešŸ˜‚ unfortunately white dog+ rain +red clay= an orange dog
She was enjoying the sunshine as well

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does cleaning up her kidding cup mean? How do you do it? My does still have some yucky red discharge on their tails, but itā€™s been ttioooo cold to be giving sponge bathes...maybe soon?

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 hey! So the ā€œkidding clipā€ is where you shave the back of the back legs,udder and do a show tail.

Iā€™m not sure if you would want to do that since itā€™s cold there or not. This photo shows it done already(does need cleaned up).
A56B0612-9480-4DAD-BBF9-0F8DAC71590F.jpeg

Iā€™ll do this to another doe this sat/sun(weather permitting) so there will be a before/after side by side to show a little better what I mean.
Basically your taking all the hair on the inner thighs,on the udder, and I like to go up over her ligs when I do her tail.

This next photo the first pic was taken last year the other was a few weeks ago. You can see in the first one how itā€™s shorter and smoother looking on the inside of the legs and how I went farther onto the legs themselves
BF5A6DAE-4006-4522-8CBF-8E5081AF4210.jpeg

Hopefully that made I bit of sense...

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Sweet horizon Nigerians It looks like my 8 month old Bert bred my little Dixie before I sold him Christmas Eve. She is developing a puffy udder. She is small only 15 inches. Please pray that everything goes ok for her. I don't want to lose her. She is my little sweetheart. The best thing in her favor was that he was only 17 inches, maybe? I am so worried.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Duckfarmerpa1 hey! So the ā€œkidding clipā€ is where you shave the back of the back legs,udder and do a show tail.

Iā€™m not sure if you would want to do that since itā€™s cold there or not. This photo shows it done already(does need cleaned up).
View attachment 70794
Iā€™ll do this to another doe this sat/sun(weather permitting) so there will be a before/after side by side to show a little better what I mean.
Basically your taking all the hair on the inner thighs,on the udder, and I like to go up over her ligs when I do her tail.

This next photo the first pic was taken last year the other was a few weeks ago. You can see in the first one how itā€™s shorter and smoother looking on the inside of the legs and how I went farther onto the legs themselvesView attachment 70795
Hopefully that made I bit of sense...
It looks good!! It would be really nice to do, as you know how messy they ar3 for quite awhile after kidding, but, I think youā€™re right abou5 the cold. My girlsā€™ tails are still yucky...I was just wondering as I milked them the other day if I could wash those up when it gets warm? Iā€™m sure they would not love that....ugh

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Sweet horizon Nigerians It looks like my 8 month old Bert bred my little Dixie before I sold him Christmas Eve. She is developing a puffy udder. She is small only 15 inches. Please pray that everything goes ok for her. I don't want to lose her. She is my little sweetheart. The best thing in her favor was that he was only 17 inches, maybe? I am so worried.
How old is Dixie? Chris wants to breed some of my doelings this fall..late fall..but I canā€™t convince him itā€™s not a good idea. We have a friend who said itā€™d be fine. Iā€™ll pray for Dixie too...

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@MiniSilkys how old is Dixie? Unfortunately with very still being young thatā€™s not his max height.
That being said Iā€™ve heard of many does kidding at 7 months with little to no issues.
In my experience ff start getting a puffy udder around 2-2.5months bred if at all possible try to be there for her kidding Incase she needs help. I will be praying for a smooth safe delivery.

@Duckfarmerpa1 i would imagine you could probably use warm water and sponge their tails clean, maybe can even get an old brush(think like a horse brush with stiff bristles) and brush it out before trying the water.
You could probably even use wipes (like baby wipes or pet wipes) when were the does born that your husband wants to breed?
Generally people say (for Nigerians atleast) 7 months and 40lbs minimum, I personally have does born in February of last year and April of last year that I will more than likely breed this summer/fall as they are of nice size and have nice width between pin bones. Each of these doelings are almost the size of their moms and almost as wide through the pins

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old is Dixie? Chris wants to breed some of my doelings this fall..late fall..but I canā€™t convince him itā€™s not a good idea. We have a friend who said itā€™d be fine. Iā€™ll pray for Dixie too...
Thank you. she is 1 next week. Isabelle have birth last year the day after she turned 1 to healthy twin girls. If they are as close to their expected adult size then everything is fine. All my does are 18 inches and under. My herd buck is 20 inches. One of his 2019 buckling bred Dixie. But at least he was the smallest. Dixie was a bottle baby because she was abandoned by her mama because her twin brother died. I always try to wait until my does are 10 months old to breed but I had not planned to breed Dixie but I do miss bert. He was so cute.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@MiniSilkys how old is Dixie? Unfortunately with very still being young thatā€™s not his max height.
That being said Iā€™ve heard of many does kidding at 7 months with little to no issues.
In my experience ff start getting a puffy udder around 2-2.5months bred if at all possible try to be there for her kidding Incase she needs help. I will be praying for a smooth safe delivery.

@Duckfarmerpa1 i would imagine you could probably use warm water and sponge their tails clean, maybe can even get an old brush(think like a horse brush with stiff bristles) and brush it out before trying the water.
You could probably even use wipes (like baby wipes or pet wipes) when were the does born that your husband wants to breed?
Generally people say (for Nigerians atleast) 7 months and 40lbs minimum, I personally have does born in February of last year and April of last year that I will more than likely breed this summer/fall as they are of nice size and have nice width between pin bones. Each of these doelings are almost the size of their moms and almost as wide through the pins
@Sweet horizon Nigerians Dixie is 1 year best week. I wasn't planning on breeding her. I usually wait until they are 10-12 months first. But the bucks have other plans. I didn't want to breed her until next year to see if she would grow more. I always try to be there as much as possible. As for Bert's height, his Sire is 20 inches and dam is 18 inches.