Kiko goats....IKGA, AKGA and NKR.......what is the deal?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kikos are a little smaller. Not much but a little. There is a lot of research out of Langston and U of Tennessee that shows they are hardier. Less worming, less disease and a higher weaning rate than boers. The research also shows that kiko dams bred to boer bucks produce the fastest growing kids.

My kikos search out more browse and my boers are always looking for grain. This is my first year with kikos and my kiko does all gave birth to smaller kids but the kids were comparable in size at weaning.

I have one kiko doe raising quads with no help from me. None of my boers could do that.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It seems like the more a breed is "messed with" to improve milk or meat production, the less hardy they become. If I ever raised goats again, I'd raise Spanish Meat Goats. Tough as nails and REALLY hardy.

Matthew3590

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use nigerians, sadly I don't breed for hardiness, I breed to make the best goats to the classification of them being recognized. As far as I know all of the associations for nigerians are accepted for all.