Kimber tangled with Cougar!! Underdogged.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I really thought it was a bear. Even if a mountain lion would be more likely to attack in that way... I still thought it was a bear!! Bears are only dangerous if provoked and I had no doubt Kimber would chase one until it reacted. I now know it was in fact a freakin MOUNTAIN LION!!! :he:he:he:he:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie

I was asleep this morning when I heard Vulcan barking and something yowling at 4:30 am. As I swam towards consciousness, the standoff continued. Vulcan barking, cat (making cat noises...). I was slowly realizing that this was bad and was climbing out of bed to get my "problem solver" when the stand off finally ended and Vulcan started chasing it!! :barnie:barnie I listened to him barking at it/chasing it until he was almost a mile away. That woke me up like a cold bucket of water being dumped on me! I was sure we just lost another LGD to a FREAKIN MOUNTAIN LION!!!:he:barnie:somad

Now, I have no way to assure you that this was no house cat. I actually told my husband, when I woke him, that it might have been a bobcat (we have those here no doubt). It wasn't until I compared the sounds the two made tonight that there was NO DOUBT what was outside my window IN MY FRONT YARD this morning!!!

My blood is boiling... This kitty is going to die...

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, did Vulcan return?....I'd have something special really handy by the bed and sleep with ya britches on....even ic ya have to aim out a door or window...and take the shot for most damage.....hope ya get that critter!!.....if ya said it, then I believe ya.....no reason to doubt it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is bad. This cat has no fear and can only return to do more damage. I hope you get it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a bold cat. I am hoping and praying that you get it soon. I have to wonder about Smith...:( :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Even if DNR says there are no cougars in your neck of the woods, I'll be willing to bet if they find you've killed one, there'll be hell to pay along with fines, possible jail time, etc. I suggest you contact them and make them aware of your situation, the damage to Kimber, the missing status of Smith, and what has recently happened with Vulcan. and seek their assistance in trapping and removing the cat. Barring that, at least you'll know the possible ramifications if you do (get the opportunity to) kill it.

I hope Vulcan returned unharmed, I hope (still) that Smith wasn't a meal and turns back up (though after this long a time, that seems doubtful). Hope Kimber is continuing to improve. Hope you get this situation corrected satisfactorily... as in no further issues.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Following. Hugs to Kimber and praying that you find Smith without injuries and that Vulcan remains unharmed from his encounter. Please update us.