KNIVES!! What kind/brand is best?

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to process my father in laws longhorn steer, and I decided I needed a good knife for that project. I had always used whatever I had for deer and other smaller animals and most were fairly cheap. I bought a Knives of Alaska knife and it was hard to justify the cost. I got it home and got out my sharpener kit figuring I needed to touch it up before using as I had done with all my other knives that I had bought. Wrong. It was razor sharp out of the box and field dressing the steer was almost easy. I did touch up the edge before skinning, and didn't touch it after that. I liked it so much I bought one of their fillet knives (the shorter one) because all the reviews said it was great for a boning knife. It worked fantastic and I cut roasts and steaks with ease.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The first one I bought was the Bush Camp. I then got the Steelheader. Those knives will probably handle everything I would ever have the chance to use them on, and outlast me. I can't say enough good things about them. The only complaint I had was on the sheath for the Steelheader - I've never liked nylon knife sheaths. They hold an edge for a really long time and stand up to some tough use. I didn't have to sharpen the Bush Camp once when skinning the longhorn steer, and it was still sharp enough to do some of the tougher boning jobs (separating hind quarters, etc.). After starting the boning process, I did buy the Jaeger. I probably didn't need the Jaeger boning knife but it was shorter than the Steelheader, and more importantly I got permission from my wife to get it. That's rare in my house and I can't pass up that opportunity. :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Arrakis from the now sunny front range in Colorado. Welcome to BYH. Thanks Steve and Arrakis for the heads-up on those knives. They seem pretty pricey, but if they're that good, perhaps they're worth it. Thanks for the link Bay, bookmarked!

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Since I work in Sidney, I went to Cabelas when I started my knife shopping. I also looked around on Amazon, etc. to see if I could find them any cheaper. I wasn't able to so I bought them at Cabelas. I saw some that were on sale but they weren't the ones I wanted. If I wouldn't have had a 1,000 pound steer hanging, I would have shopped around more or waited for the one I wanted to go on sale somewhere.

How much snow did you end up with? We didn't get any snow at home but Sidney got some snow that melted right away.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Got about 5-6" here, heavy wet packed with little drifting. Further west up in the foothills they got over 3 feet in many areas.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@SteveElms thanks for the recommendation. Haha, anytime you get permission, go for it no matter what it is! My want list is not the typical female want list, I tell my husband keep the diamonds, buy me ______ (fill in the blank with something useful) wire, fence posts, ammo, tools and he bought me a tractor! :love If that ain't true love then I don't know what is!

Arrakis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Knives of Alaska
I have the Muskrat/Cub Bear Combo and the Jaeger Boning Knife. Looking to purchase the Filet Knife Combo set here soon.

Arrakis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Latestarter I used Cabela's points to get mine. They even offered to special order a set I was considering if I wanted. Also check out Buck Knives. I'm fortunate to live within driving distance of their factory. They have 2 huge (I mean HUGE!) sales twice a year. Most items are 50-75% off.