1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

KNIVES!! What kind/brand is best?

Discussion in 'Processing For Meat' started by Dreubber, Jan 23, 2015.

1. May 1, 2017
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

I use RADA, made in the USA. Stainless steel and razor sharp, sharpens up quickly and lasts for years and years and years. Use them in the kitchen and also in butchering. VERY reasonable price too. We've been using these knives since the 70s and haven't gotten tired of being impressed by the brand.

[​IMG]

My granny used to love her Old Hickory and had it sharpened down to a thin slice by the end of her days. My Mom had some Old Hickory too...wicked sharp knives.

Red the butcher and Baymule like this.
  2. May 1, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Loving the herd life

Bee I just ordered their catalog. I've been looking to get a couple of new knives. I realized when butchering my chickens that mine were not up to the job.

Red the butcher likes this.
  3. May 1, 2017
    Red the butcher

Red the butcher Ridin' The Range

Those are good knives. I've used them. More of kitchen knives than butcher knives but work well. The bottom one on bee's pic works very well for chickens. I didn't like any of them for deboning, skining, or general breaking down of the carcass on pigs. Not flexible enough for my liking. The very top one works great on making cuts on a loin or carving out a roast. They do hold a really good edge as well. Plus good sani safe design. Definitely a very good product.

greybeard and lcertuche like this.
  4. May 11, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

Pretty good reviews everywhere you look too.
    I like cutlery that I know I have in my hand--some weight.
    Do the RADA have some heft to them or pretty light?

5. May 11, 2017
    Red the butcher

Red the butcher Ridin' The Range

Yes they do have good weight. They are solid metal. Now saying that, i can't say how they compare to other cheif style knives. Im a butcher, different game. For me none of the knives in this set are butcher knives. Besides blade shape the weight was a factor in not liking them for butchering. After a days worth of hogs you don't want a heavy knife anymore, atleast i didn't. As far as kitchen knives for me the average home cheif, awesome! Great edge too, very sharp.

greybeard and lcertuche like this.