Kune Kune vs. Guinea Hog

PaintedPrettyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, We currently have two KuneKune (KK's) and live in Phoenix Arizona. We have never raised any other pigs so I don't have any comparison. But I can tell you alot about KK's. They are absolutely wonderful. We got two young gilts and have had them for 4 months now. They are incredibly sweet. Our girls are currently sharing a part of our backyard. One VERY nice aspect about KK's is that they do not rut like other pigs do. KK's are very content to graze on top grass. We add pig grain and fruits and vegetables. We have a fence that seperates the pigs from out Bulldogs but we open up the gate and let them be together. We slowly introduced the dogs and the pigs and now they just hang out together. Check out the American KuneKune Pig Registry for a list of breeders in the states and tons of information. Choose KuneKune !

Phe

Just born
Reaction score
Do male mini pigs grown tusks even when they are fixed?

LauraInPA

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry to bump such an old thread (new here and just browsing), but these are the two breeds I am really looking into as well. I am leaning towards AGHs because I could start out with a trio or so for the cost of one KK and also the solid black appeals to me as far as not getting as attached goes when it is time to sell/butcher.

Is the rooting really that much worse with AGHs? Also, what are the space requirements for 2-3? Hoping to have a big enough area and well maintained enough that it doesn't get too nasty. I am fine with bedding it down with straw if needed, just don't want a total slop hole ;)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good thread! I am almost ready for pigs and was wondering this very thing. I had decided to go with kune kune's because they root less. They sound like a great small homestead hog.