Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started my son on cereal and applesauce then went right to some vegs for the very reason of him not wanting only sweeter tastes. He did vegs really good...but loved to make "raspberry sounds" when he had a mouthful of peas....:rolleyes::th:barnie
He was blowing raspberries a ton the past few weeks, but has not done as much this last week. We still don't know who taught him to blow raspberries lol.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Added some quail eggs, if I timed it right, everyone should hatch around the same time.
KIMG2990.JPG

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was crazy busy, we should not have done all we did with the time change added in, because of course we stayed up late and then slept through alarms.

We went to church, then some chores, then went over to visit our northern neighbor. He is installing a fence along our shared property line and wanted our input/help. He has a road cut in all the way to the bottom so we finally got to access the bottom of our property. I thought the whole bottom was fenced, but no, only partially fenced. Because of the delightful slope covered with blackberries where there is a seasonal stream. We have a lot of work to do to clean up the bottom of this property and make it useable for humans. Apparently the deer love this zone as it has a north facing slope.

There were some very steep spots along the neighbors trail, and I am surprised we were able to do it without stopping. I think it was a half mile there and back, plus I was carrying the munchkin and a backpack.

After we came back from the neighbors, at dark, we ran to the store for groceries and then finally home to relax. Except I was supposed to make mini pies for Pi day, so I had to prep that out too. It ended up being too late last night to bake them, so I did that this morning. Now I'm so late for work I think I should have just done it last night and dealt with the lack of sleep.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I candled the eggs in the incubator, they have been in there since the evening of the 6th (chicken) or 9th (quail). I removed one celadon quail egg and 5 chicken eggs, two of which were from the leghorn project (3 left); these eggs had no visible development. There were 2 chicken eggs that looked like early quitters, but I marked them and put them back, I'll give them until next week to see if they are actually alive. Now there are 30 chicken eggs and 2 quail eggs left.

I ordered hatching eggs from a lady in Oroville, for another incubation I plan to start on the 24/25th. That should allow me to hatch the chicks just a day or two before Easter. These eggs are cream legbar, potentially opal legbar. That means they are auto sexing as chicks, with the fluff indicating gender, and they lay blue eggs. I believe they also have an interesting partial head fluff/ top knot too. I will need to get my second incubator up and running to accommodate the second set of eggs.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun day going to the back of your property and getting to look around. Of course you found more work to do! Goats or sheep would love those blackberry leaves!
Yep, the goats would have a field day I'm sure. The tricky part is figuring out how to contain them and deter predators.