Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think they are finally getting containment on the fire closest to me, but it's not really impacting us so I haven't been paying attention like I probably should.

I wore a sweater today! Temperature is projected to be a high of 65 on Sunday with 65% chance of rain!! I think we are finally getting our fall weather! Time to panic and run around outside putting everything away so it won't get wet.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Munchkin had a really rough night last night, still low grade fever and since he was eating and drinking, haven't taken him in. Today he was fine during the day but didn't eat much all day and didn't drink as much as usual. Temperature didn't get back up to where it had been the last two nights. I'm hoping he's finally over most of whatever this is.

And omg, I thought tantrums like they show on TV were just made up, like I had never seen anyone actually do this in real life. He gets frustrated he can't grab something or do something, and he will literally throw himself on the ground, thrash his arms and legs, and scream. It's kinda funny if if wasn't so loud. We are learning how to distract him so he doesn't get to this stage.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday I bred Bubba Fig with Maple. Got two fall offs and then Maple was completely uncooperative. Tried him with Pepper, and Sage's daughter and they weren't having it. Monday I tried him with Sage and she lifted right away and they had two fall offs. I think I'll wait until next weekend and try to breed another 2-3 does. I have 8 does total.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bred a doe on Saturday morning, 4 fall offs! Tried a different doe Saturday night but no cooperation so I left the doe in the buck's cage and moved him to hers for the night. Sometimes being in his space gets a doe in the mood. I tried again Sunday morning and she still wouldn't cooperate, plus tried to bite him. I moved each back to their home cages and picked a different doe. She was more cooperative and eventually had 3 fall offs. Babies are due 11/1-11/2.