Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing great with the new babies! Where are the pictures?
No pictures yet because it's been in the 40s and raining, I don't want the babies to get chilled while I'm trying to take pictures. I will get some in a few days. They are also super jumpy at this age since they are blind and I think deaf, they feel movement in the nest and jump to feel mom to latch onto a nipple. It is hard to take a non blurry picture. They should start opening their eyes around day 10.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, picture of Paprika's babies, will have to wait a while longer for pictures of Cinnamon's litter.
KIMG6058.JPG

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick question about your breeding/nesting box/#lives/#dead/etc chart...do you have one first? If not, I d recommend going on utube..the homesteadingtraditions people...they have a whole...episode list all about meat rabbits...that’s not what mine turned out to be for..but her charting is great. If you scroll through the episodes it will show you which one is about how to make the chart and keep track of everything..trust me..once you get on a roll..and giving dewormEr, etc..it’s gets confusing!! So, charts are wonderful! You seem younger than me..so you probably have it under control with PowerPoint or some fancy tool! :). Good job!!when it’s rainy, we put up extra-temporary plywood (because it’s ugly:) ) but, to block the rain from getting in the nest box. Last spring, we think we lost two due to wet fur.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Quick question about your breeding/nesting box/#lives/#dead/etc chart...do you have one first? If not, I d recommend going on utube..the homesteadingtraditions people...they have a whole...episode list all about meat rabbits...that’s not what mine turned out to be for..but her charting is great. If you scroll through the episodes it will show you which one is about how to make the chart and keep track of everything..trust me..once you get on a roll..and giving dewormEr, etc..it’s gets confusing!! So, charts are wonderful! You seem younger than me..so you probably have it under control with PowerPoint or some fancy tool! :). Good job!!when it’s rainy, we put up extra-temporary plywood (because it’s ugly:) ) but, to block the rain from getting in the nest box. Last spring, we think we lost two due to wet fur.
I don't have a chart, I've been using a spiral notebook and my posts on here and byc. I plan to upgrade to charts and a binder to store it all in, but don't have a working printer currently.

I have been watching the YouTube videos from homesteading traditions and slightly rednecked, they have been very helpful with my rabbit adventures so far.

My rabbits are in wire cages off the ground, so haven't had a need for dewormer so far. The cages are covered with tarps currently, under a harbor freight carport. We were supposed to add tarps to the carport to make the whole thing enclosed but that hasn't happened yet mostly due to the weather. Once we get a day without rain and wind we can finish the upgrade and anchor it to make sure the whole thing doesn't blow away.

I'm hoping I don't lose kits this time, the last litters I had right when the heat wave started and I didn't know to shelve the kits and they got too warm. Lost one and a half litters. I'm worried that Paprika's kits are too jumpy and will get out of the nest box and get chilled. They are starting to get their fur now, so just need to last another week or so and they should be safe.

Once we move I'm going to upgrade all the cages and make sure the breeders have twice the floor space they have now. I can use the current cages for separating grow outs. Dunno if I should do the drop down nest boxes or just regular ones.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a chart, I've been using a spiral notebook and my posts on here and byc. I plan to upgrade to charts and a binder to store it all in, but don't have a working printer currently.

I have been watching the YouTube videos from homesteading traditions and slightly rednecked, they have been very helpful with my rabbit adventures so far.

My rabbits are in wire cages off the ground, so haven't had a need for dewormer so far. The cages are covered with tarps currently, under a harbor freight carport. We were supposed to add tarps to the carport to make the whole thing enclosed but that hasn't happened yet mostly due to the weather. Once we get a day without rain and wind we can finish the upgrade and anchor it to make sure the whole thing doesn't blow away.

I'm hoping I don't lose kits this time, the last litters I had right when the heat wave started and I didn't know to shelve the kits and they got too warm. Lost one and a half litters. I'm worried that Paprika's kits are too jumpy and will get out of the nest box and get chilled. They are starting to get their fur now, so just need to last another week or so and they should be safe.

Once we move I'm going to upgrade all the cages and make sure the breeders have twice the floor space they have now. I can use the current cages for separating grow outs. Dunno if I should do the drop down nest boxes or just regular ones.
I don’t want to sound like a jerk..but we thought the same thing about the dewormer..and lost rabbits..kits and all. It doesn’t matter where they live, it’s just a fact of life with these animals. If you do some research..you’ll see what I’m talking about. The dewormEr is called Albon. The small bottle..about 5oz is like $20...it’ll last for just a few rabbits...not practical. The big bottle was hard for my hubby to swallow and we lost more rabbits...i was furious!! It was $89 from the vet. But. We’ve used it many times on many rabbits and still have a ton. Please rethink this.

We have a ton of the regular nest boxes...but this last time...my doe gave birth, sort of unexpectedly...she only had a bunny box. We give them all boxes to sleep in to be cozy and jump on. They are basic squares. She had her kits in there just the same.

When the babies are extra jumpy, sometimes my hubby drills an extra pice of temporary plywood to the front part of the nest box..to make it just a bit higher...it seems to have helped. Just make sure you check on them often enough just in case. But I understand...I lost one last week..it’s so hard.