Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well inspection shows 15+ gallons per minute on the well, so that's good. Bacteria testing won't come back for a few days. House inspection report won't be back for a few days but did learn it has termites. Was already mostly planning to gut the whole place down to the studs so we can see what we are dealing with and move walls around, that pretty much solidifies that plan. The inspector did say to our face (and within hearing of the seller) that the house is in unlivable condition.

Seller is supposed to have the septic pumped and give us a report, they said yesterday they had planned to pump it right before they moved out so it was nice and empty for us.... Fiance's dad pointed out (to us not the sellers) that the exposed septic tank lid is showing liquid bubbling up - septic tanks should never be that full, there should be a foot or so of space between the top of the "stuff" and the lid. This means it's not flowing for some reason... Could be a clog (tree roots/stuff that shouldn't be flushed/etc), or could be a failure of some part of the system. This property has dry wells rather than leach lines, so we are having to learn about those. Might be pricey to fix if it's an actual issue. Our realtor is getting septic pumping and inspection set up so we will know what we are dealing with.

Starting to wonder if this is why the sellers refused to fill out the sellers disclosure form completely. If they were fixing to set us up with an unlivable house and waltz out of state. If the septic situation is a no go, we are going to have to keep looking. If that's the case, at least we would be only out the amount of the inspections and not our deposit.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Or have them take a lower price such that the difference covers the septic replacement.
That's an option as well. I'm not getting stuck with a messed up house if I can help it, not again. I'd rather keep looking.

Hopefully there's nothing wrong, or the sellers drop the price to cover repairing the septic if there is something wrong.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sellers/selling realtor refusing to cooperate with scheduling septic inspection. Fiance and I talked and if they won't let us inspect on Monday, we are going to walk. If there's issues, they will need to repair or credit/drop price or we will walk.

So very frustrating, but maybe we aren't meant to be there. It just sucks that there's not much out there for sale that fits our criteria. I guess we are in the minority that we don't want to live in a cookie cutter house on a postage stamp sized lot. I really don't understand how people can live like that.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! I read Thistlebloom's post and said "Yep". No reason not to get on inspections if you have nothing to hide. But then it will all come out eventually so it is best to just get on with things and let the inspector find what (s)he finds.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had some puppy therapy to combat recent negativity.
KIMG7543.JPG

This is our future puppy:
KIMG7546.JPG