Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raise coturnix quail too, I wonder if we did a dirt floor in the rabbit barn, if I could just let the quail loose in the barn to help deal with the rabbit manure composting process. They don't fly so they wouldn't be able to roost and poop on the rabbits. The annoying part would be trying to get the eggs, they don't use a nest box like chickens, it would a daily easter egg hunt. Hmm. Or maybe just use for grow out chickens? And give them roosts that are higher than the bunny cages but not overhead, they usually go to the highest spots they can access. Or maybe Cornish cross birds, they wouldn't roost...

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd like to get a black soldier fly farm going, that would help process the rabbit manure and food scraps a lot faster than the compost pile. I got a volunteer one going in the fall at my parents house and they composted a medium pile of quail manure and spilled feed in a pretty quick turnaround. It got cold though so I couldn't keep it going. I wonder if any of the pupae hatched?

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got a text that the in-laws partially grown chickens have been massacred. Half dead and half missing. There were 20 littles with one older survivor from the first massacre. All gone or dead now. I told them they needed to fix their chicken run but apparently that didn't happen.

I don't know if it's a fox or raccoon but that enclosure is definitely not predator resistant. They have old chicken wire along the bottom, and I watched a ground squirrel run right underneath the fence last time I was there. If a ground squirrel can get it, so could a raccoon or fox. The upper area is plastic bird netting. Just sad about the birds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s terrible about your in laws chickens. Poor chickens.

I had an attached coop on my rabbitry. It had a door to the rabbit barn so I could close them out if I wanted. They didn’t roost on the cages. Occasionally a chicken would go walking on the cages and I swooped her off with my arm.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems many people just do not realize how "Fort Knox" a coop and run have to be. I'm sorry they lost their birds, hopefully that will be the wakeup call to rebuild properly.
I studied BYC for months before I ever built my first coop. I studied the coop and predator forums, many of which started with (fill in the blank with predator of choice)
__________ KILLED ALL MY CHICKENS! I built a Fort Knox coop, complete with wire laid on the ground all the way around it and never lost a single chicken.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've lost birds in the past at my parents flock, and started upgrading the fencing a few years back. The side that was upgraded had had no incursions since but the non upgraded side is where the critters get in. Recently skunks or raccoons, thankfully they haven't lost too many birds in the past year. Sometimes the smaller young birds get out too, and we have to figure out where the new hole is and pile more rocks. I wonder if I can convince my hubby and brother to assist with doing the final sides of the pen...

Hubby has been stressing about getting the house fixed up before the baby comes. We are going to push to get the living room flooring done this weekend so he can move the living room stuff back out of the den and then we can tackle that room next. He wants to get the kitchen remodeled but he's worried it won't happen until after the baby comes. He's been doing a bunch of electrical at a local cabinet making shop and they said they might be able to hook us up with kitchen cabinets just above cost, which would be fantastic. We'd plan out the kitchen using the Ikea kitchen planning website, then bring them the plans. I'm excited we might actually get a functional kitchen within the next year or two.

@farmerjan I think what you were saying on the other thread about taking advantage of the low interest rates right now is smart, and we might be able to do that to get the kitchen done, new non leaky roof, and maybe get the garage. Hubby has been saying if he had a garage he could set up his tools and such in that he'd be able to get projects done faster and easier. Plus we'd be able to store more stuff out of the way.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bird pens I want to build here will be aviary style, with netting or fencing overhead. Too many critters know they can just climb over the fence to get tasty chicken nuggets. I don't like sharing my chicken nuggets with wildlife.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
thankfully they haven't lost too many birds in the past year.
I guess they are different than I am. ONE is TOO MANY for me. Lose one, fix the problem ASAP!

Hubby has been stressing about getting the house fixed up before the baby comes.
Tell him to chill a little :D Baby won't be crawling around on the floor for many months. Plenty of time to finish stuff. DD1 was moved to another room when I got around to putting the hardwood down in her room. She was probably 6 months old at the time.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess they are different than I am. ONE is TOO MANY for me. Lose one, fix the problem ASAP!

Tell him to chill a little :D Baby won't be crawling around on the floor for many months. Plenty of time to finish stuff. DD1 was moved to another room when I got around to putting the hardwood down in her room. She was probably 6 months old at the time.
That's what I was trying to point out! SIL's little one is pushing 6 months and I don't even think she's crawling yet. We have a bassinet, a crib, or the puppy play pens to contain the little one, I think we'd be able to work on the house even after he arrives. Or just take him to grandma's (either one) to stay for a little bit. I think we can get it done tho, which would be a great load of stress gone.

Latest posts