Larsen Poultry Ranch - homesteading journey

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ummm guinea pigs for eating? Really?
Did a quick DuckDuck -- in Columbia they were pushing raising them and not cattle. Sigh. Never mind.
The breeds they have in South America are a lot larger than the pet versions here in the US. It is very similar to rabbit from what I've read, and they are pretty much self sufficient practically from birth. They can't jump well so containing them is fairly easy and they eat all sorts of greenery so they are supposed to be easy to feed. But they are commonly considered pets here in the US and I also don't know how tasty they are or how easy they are to butcher.

Hubby is adamantly against getting them, so I strongly think about getting some when he pisses me off.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe you should go with DH to check out FIL's "stash" before making up your mind. It could be that he won't have what you need (want) and you can avoid that pitfall. You want something that will be sturdy, look nice, and last for a long time so the building can be repurposed if necessary. Building with old scrap materials is fine as long as they are what you want and will fit. Otherwise go order what you need, and have it delivered. Once it is on the ground at the location men are less apt to want to return it since they have to load it up to do so.

Bet Munchkins 1 and 2 are adorable, DGS6 is 18 months and DGS5 is 3 and in preschool. It is amazing (and hysterical) how DGS6 mimics everything DGS5 does. They play pretty well together since the y younger one still follows and does what the older one wants. In another year - watch out! LOL
Anything built using the stuff from inlaws would not look great, definitely look mish mashed together.

Munchkin 2 loves watching his big brother, just starts smiling the moment he sees him. I hope they will be best buddies, but I anticipate lots of stolen toys and tantrums in the future. I don't know if it will be a good thing or not if Munchkin 2 turns out as obsessed with tractors and heavy equipment as Munchkin 1. We get to drive past the Kubota dealership on the way to Grandma's house which is pretty fun.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spent 4-5 hours in the garden today, weeding and raking up the stuff hubby weed eated. I ended up with a blister on each hand from raking, tweaked my wrist and one ankle, plus a sunburn. Super sore now but I'm happy with the progress that was made.

If hubby can get the tiller actually working, we might be able to plant things soon. We bought a pallet of concrete and poured another two garden bed molds. The concrete that is not used in the garden will be used for the bunny barn footing. I remembered to use my coupon at Home Depot!