Last straw, last chance. Can't contain my goats. Any ideas?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have seen pix of those too. But when they hit the electric fence with them, the PVC will not transmit any charge and will probably pull the fence down so it will ground out Now you have to repair the fence as well as recapture the goats.

What kind of posts do you have supporting the hot wires? Is it a battery charger? Could you put up a short woven wire fence 30-36" tall along the bottom with hot wire above it? That would cut the cost, and they couldn't go through that so quickly. Also you mentioned that you have to put logs at the bottom of the fence. Are they crawling out?

I don't think it is the breed. All goats are escape artists. So are some horses and mules. They have prehensile lips that can maneuver locks! Electric wire fencing is really not effective on goats, other than as a top and bottom line and to stop them rubbing on it.

Learned behavior. You aren't going to change it at this point. I'll put up with lots of things from an animal, but continual escape artists aren't one of them.
A cull factor of high degree. They get out, a vehicle hits one and it's a financial liability you just don't want. With so much plastic on the front of today's cars, it don't take much to have a $3000-$5000 body shop bill or insurance claim.

Sadly I agree with Greybeard. If you can't re-fence your entire area, fence a smaller part with no climb and keep them in that small area. If they still get out, rehoming may be the only way to go.

Jan Lyon

Just born
Reaction score
I have one large Boer male goat that I adopted because his owner couldn't contain him. I have nylon ropes running from tree to tree, t post to tree, tree to basketball hoop, etc. all over his head by three feet or so. I have a big collar on him and a lead that runs from that and is clipped onto the overhead lines with hardware that allows it to glide along the ropes. He moves freely along the lines and is able to run, eat, and lay down. (The length of the lead is important here.) At night he is in a pen constructed of three rail fence with hardware cloth, and an overhead roof. He is happy on his "zip Lines" because he can move around, run and play without hobbles. Not sure how many you have to secure, but thought I would offer my solution. It has worked for me for two years now.