ldawntaylor - bits and pieces

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IMHO, adding new birds, especially younger ones, goes a lot easier the more space there is for them to run around in. I sincerely believe that most integration issues (aside from roosters and their specific issues) are caused by inadequate space for all the birds when together. That, from my very limited experience... :hide Looks good to me! :clap

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It was a fairly inexpensive project too. As well as being light enough to move by myself.

For lack of a better term I've been calling them chicken panels. Each one is a rectangle that is 4 foot by 2 foot. The material is 1 inch pvc pipe covered in hardware cloth.

These won't stand up to the goats very well. Or if Rusty decides he wants in. But to protect from other birds it works fine.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My Smores is a very industrious dog.

20180519_212213.jpg

At least she is behaving herself tonight.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That big bone Smores had last night is now about half the size it was....

I sure gave my cat and dog a scare a few nights ago.

Near as I can tell I was sleepwalking again. When I woke I was standing and in the process of moving Smores from the bed to the floor. I have no idea what prompted that.

A few nights later I woke up to find Smores nudging one arm and licking me and the cat nudging my other arm and yowling every few seconds.

They must have been waking me up from another episode.

On another note all is well in the henhouse. Yesterday I got 8 eggs. One bantam didn't lay an egg and I only have 8 adult hens. So one laid two eggs. Since I only have two adult Wyandottes and got three of their eggs it must be one of those two birds.

Sometime today or tomorrow I plan to figure out a way for the chicks to get in and out of their small pen to interact with the big birds. If the bantams cause too much trouble I will have to close things up for another week.

This process has worked in the past so there is a good chance it will work again.

For the moment though breakfast is my next goal, an egg or two from yesterday perhaps.

So, until next time....

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is a picture I had to share.
20180520_150258.jpg

Rusty really likes this pipe. When he is inside it is hard for him to turn around so he usually just backs up.

Recently, he was in the milk room and wanted to follow me out the door.

I guess the habit of backing up is so strong he backed up that time too. It kind of reminds me of how a horse backs up.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where has the time gone? Four months and I can't remember a lot of it. As I read the posts here and at BYC that fills some of the blanks.

Some of that "I can't remember" stuff has to do with just doing routine things. And those activities just making one day blend into the next in looking back.

Unfortunately another part of having these memory problems has to do with anemia almost being the death of me. At least the doctors tell me I was very close to becoming comatose.

As those reading this might remember I live alone, so there is a good chance I wouldn't have been found in time.

But, I did get a blood transfusion in time. So dying goes back to the catagory of "might have been" rather than the post in May being the last.

I suspect everyone knows the kinds of things that happen when living creatures are neglected. I lost a few of my birds. My lactating doe got mastitis. Among other things. Along with so much accumulated dust and debris needing cleaned.

As it is I need to get back to fixing what I can of the consequences. Example, clean my goat shed, clean my henhouse, clean my house.... No, I won't overdo it. But, I need to get some of it done. Somehow, getting some of my cleaning done helps boost my energy so that I can do a bit more tomorrow.

So until next time....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately another part of having these memory problems has to do with anemia almost being the death of me. At least the doctors tell me I was very close to becoming comatose.

As those reading this might remember I live alone, so there is a good chance I wouldn't have been found in time.
:ep:th

Wow, sure glad you got to the doctor in time! Did you have any symptoms that you now recognize so it won't happen again?

Latest posts