1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lethargic Doe

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by HomesteaderWife, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Apr 15, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

So very sorry for her and your loss. It is possible that she has another in there but you need to have a vet see her right away. If there is another and it is dead it can lead to infection and death if retained. Did she pass afterbirth with the one she delivered?
    Abortion is common in pregnancy toxemia.
    Have you take her temp?
    Is she standing?
    Is she eating?

Acting quickly can save her life.

Hens and Roos likes this.
  2. Apr 15, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    I am so sorry for the loss. :( big hugs.

3. Apr 18, 2017
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Loving the herd life

Just a quick update- that was her only baby that she lost. She's on propylene glycol now and doing a heck of a lot better. She's been up FINALLY eating, drinking, and wanting to get out. Normal temp! We've been praying for her hard and watching out for her, and the medicine is doing the trick. Thanks all

4. Apr 18, 2017
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    I am so glad she is doing better! Sorry for the loss but a healthy doe is the important part in my mind.

HomesteaderWife likes this.
  5. Apr 20, 2017
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Loving the herd life

Well, just wanted to say that nearly a week later after all this and she is doing so much better. Lots of energy, very vocal and crazy again! Being a food hog as usual, haha. We've kept the billy goat separate from her since this time- any ideas on when he would be safe to be back with her?

6. Apr 20, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

It depends on what you mean. If she is a seasonal breeder probably no worries. If she is a year round breeder not a good idea.
    You would not want her to be bred again right away.

Pregnancy toxemia can happen to any goat but there are things that can cause it and I would look at this a little closer.
    Our doe had it this year, we caught it so fast ( she tripped and that is all it took for us to know something was wrong) she went on to kid and was fine... she (the dam) did not meet any of the normal criteria for the normal causes. Our vet was shocked. We all shook our heads.

Looking at her nutritional status, any deficiencies etc should be addressed well before any breeding takes place.