Lethargic Doe

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry to reply so late....before we could do anything she ended up giving birth. It was very small with undeveloped hooves and no teeth. It only lived a short while. It's late now but I felt her stomach and I am wondering if there is another one there or not?

If she lost one, is there a possibility of carrying a second one full term? Would she lose it too? I don't understand what happened. This was her first pregnancy and we are just really heartbroken...

So very sorry for her and your loss. It is possible that she has another in there but you need to have a vet see her right away. If there is another and it is dead it can lead to infection and death if retained. Did she pass afterbirth with the one she delivered?
Abortion is common in pregnancy toxemia.
Have you take her temp?
Is she standing?
Is she eating?

Acting quickly can save her life.

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just a quick update- that was her only baby that she lost. She's on propylene glycol now and doing a heck of a lot better. She's been up FINALLY eating, drinking, and wanting to get out. Normal temp! We've been praying for her hard and watching out for her, and the medicine is doing the trick. Thanks all

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, just wanted to say that nearly a week later after all this and she is doing so much better. Lots of energy, very vocal and crazy again! Being a food hog as usual, haha. We've kept the billy goat separate from her since this time- any ideas on when he would be safe to be back with her?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean. If she is a seasonal breeder probably no worries. If she is a year round breeder not a good idea.
You would not want her to be bred again right away.

Pregnancy toxemia can happen to any goat but there are things that can cause it and I would look at this a little closer.
Our doe had it this year, we caught it so fast ( she tripped and that is all it took for us to know something was wrong) she went on to kid and was fine... she (the dam) did not meet any of the normal criteria for the normal causes. Our vet was shocked. We all shook our heads.

Looking at her nutritional status, any deficiencies etc should be addressed well before any breeding takes place.