LGD Puppies due in August

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Numbers on some may be slightly off, as they are super squiggly now. Will need to use my digital fishing scale, but I don't think it's very good for such light critters...Weights from today, so a day late. I didn't update the age bar at the bottom, my bad.
Screenshot (1174).jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Alrighty then... Looks like the growth spurt has started! Nice to see that even the 2 who seemed to be having issues have taken off as well.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of them are hating the hard kibble, even when let to soak some.
Since parents won't eat boring ol kibble laying around, I'll leave a dish out for them. IDK if any will eat it or just play with it.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let out the pups and after watching them for a bit, went off to feed the other critters.
Surry and Lolla hung out in the barn, several pups went over to say hello and then move on to arguing with a random sibling. ♡
They are now on just kibble soaked in their dry formula & duck egg mix. No more goat milk, yogurt or canned food mixed as well. They also have dry kibble there all the time. Hoping by week 6, they will be just on dry kibble.

Anyone know when I can lock mom out of their pen to try and dry her up? She's wasting too much energy on milk production and not enough on herself. She gets puppy kibble, adult kibble she steals from dad, satin balls, formula/egg, canned food and cooked ham 2-3x a day.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Stella had this issue due to the pups weight outweighing her when all combined by 3 weeks old. She was getting 4 cooked eggs and 1 pound of raw meat twice a day along with free choice to puppy kibble and adult kibble. We just locked her out of the pen at night and during the day and she would feed them when we were home(ours were in the house). Reduced nursing time seemed to help stabilize her weight loss. The pups were 4 weeks when we started that and grew consistently so there were no ill effects on them. In fact, most are now pushing the 100# mark as mom is 55# and dad is around 140#. Ours was not a planned litter what so ever but it all worked out. Stella had her pups weaned by 6 weeks due to the stress it put on her body. She chose to wean them earlier but we coaxed her to let them nurse until 6 weeks old.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stella had this issue due to the pups weight outweighing her when all combined by 3 weeks old. She was getting 4 cooked eggs and 1 pound of raw meat twice a day along with free choice to puppy kibble and adult kibble. We just locked her out of the pen at night and during the day and she would feed them when we were home(ours were in the house). Reduced nursing time seemed to help stabilize her weight loss. The pups were 4 weeks when we started that and grew consistently so there were no ill effects on them. In fact, most are now pushing the 100# mark as mom is 55# and dad is around 140#. Ours was not a planned litter what so ever but it all worked out. Stella had her pups weaned by 6 weeks due to the stress it put on her body. She chose to wean them earlier but we coaxed her to let them nurse until 6 weeks old.

The dry puppy kibble in their pen was gone when I went to feed them, so I went ahead and redid the pen so mom is kept out except when I let the puppies out to roam, then she can nurse them some. Hope it helps her.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I don't know if it is the "right" thing but you know your dogs and you are the best one to judge if they are doing ok with it all. It worked for the better with our pups and my girl, mom's health was most important for us and it was noticeable that nursing the pups was draining her too much. I hope it helps your girl :)

Latest posts