LGD Puppies due in August

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay. So no go on the komondors breed. Thanks for the honest opinion. We want a lgd that we can learn with lol. We are researching as much as we can before hand.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
IMHO, being in the heat of TX and being inexperienced, the Anatolian Shepard seems like it would be about an ideal choice. Short haired, normally don't wander far, learn very fast, good size to be able to tackle larger predators (Still better as a male/female team), great temperament and personality... Just my thoughts...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMHO, being in the heat of TX and being inexperienced, the Anatolian Shepard seems like it would be about an ideal choice. Short haired, normally don't wander far, learn very fast, good size to be able to tackle larger predators (Still better as a male/female team), great temperament and personality... Just my thoughts...
Or Toli/Pyr... allour Toli Pyrs have more Toli coats.... but some it is opposite and have more pyr coats. PB Toli's do have massively thick coats just not long. The shorter coats are great for not having to dematt and pull out burs and things but both breeds have their positives and negatives.

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I use to be a dog grooming. So the fur isn't a problem. But honestly I would prefer a short haired dog. And when you say team, would it be best to get siblings or male and female from separate lines. I'm sorry for so many questions.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's not so much a "grooming" issue as it is a health of the animal issue... it gets a bit warm down here and heavy coats (common on Pyrs) make for very long summers for the dog. My Pyr/Toli cross (my avatar) has the long neck fur/hair of the Pyr, but the overall build and shorter coat of the Toli. And boy can I tell you, he sheds! Don't be sorry for asking questions! Better to learn in advance and save yourself (and potentially the animals) from issues down the road.

I don't believe (never have) in getting my dogs "fixed" (NOT a buyer of the "spay/neuter everything" line of thought). So, if getting a male female pair, you have to be aware of heat cycles to prevent unwanted mating. I'm a LGD newbie and have only had Mel (my avatar) for ~2 years. I got him from @Southern by choice who is our resident LGD guru :D

From what I've learned and from my understanding, male/female pairs seem to work best... so if there's some chance you might like to breed later down the road, siblings won't work. Male/male pairing can work or might not depending on dominance issues... female/female pairing can cause the greatest issues, seem to have the highest rate of failure.

The most important aspect of the pairing seems to be the way the LGD does their job... There are patrollers, and there are watchers. The patroller seems to do just that. They go out and patrol the perimeter to mark territory and head off threats. The watcher tends to stay with the herd and keep anything from getting in close. Of course if the patroller gets into it with something and needs help, you'd hope the other would come to help out once the animals they are protecting are in a safe place. Hopefully you'd be there to help out once they alert you to there being an issue. They have a pretty loud bark... and it carries. This can be an issue if you have city type neighbors... It's not really a good thing to have 2 patrollers paired off as who would be watching the animals? Also, two watchers aren't ideal as any threat would be right up in with the herd before the LGDs would get involved.

I'm sure if I'm missing something there or have it "not quite right" or incomplete, Southern will jump in here and correct me :)

Bowman85

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a 9 year old border collies with long hair. And every summer we trim her hair because she gets hot and her fur gets stickers and twigs tangled in her fur if I let it grow long.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I need to reconsider who I'm keeping. I find Orange with the sheep a lot, not annoying me to get loved on and not following me around. Kinda makes her the better dog....

Orange was laying down with them.
15304497_1873512556268625_8994231708306850746_o.jpg

Yellow following me while I clean up the mess they like to make.
15327316_1873513222935225_6320612379703409581_n.jpg

Yellow watching the horses, but still following me.
15355645_1873512716268609_6793586356286500506_n.jpg

Orange came by for a little bit, but started making her way back to the sheep.
15403845_1873513086268572_7655165889302995814_o.jpg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Orange sure does seem to be the more natural LGD. Maybe Yellow would make a better farm/LGD for someone.