LGD QUESTION

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the news today from a friend that her goats had been attacked by 3 pitbulls. Numerous injured. 3 dead. Their faces chewed off. We all know what the pits are bred to do and how they attack and fight. How affective would a LGD be against such an animal? TIA

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd start with SSS :hide

Then re-enforce the fences with electric.

If they get a LGD, I wouldn't just have one dog.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
OMGosh I just just was scrolling across "my feed" on FB...
I think I just saw photos of the goats you mentioned. That is so awful :hit:hit:hit:hit

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of this. I hope the pit bulls are/have been/will be put down and the owners of those dogs made to provide financial compensation for the losses and damages. I will comment that not all pit bulls are bred or trained to do this and it is not specifically a breed issue. It is an owner & breeding issue.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your friend. Most of us have LGD's to protect our stock from predators. Were it not for my dogs, coyotes would wipe our sheep out. LGD's bark a warning to warn predators. Those pit bulls knew the goats were unprotected and attacked. Had there been 2-3 LGD's in there, the pits might have not jumped the fence, but gone on to easier pickings. Who knows for sure?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OMGosh I just just was scrolling across "my feed" on FB...
I think I just saw photos of the goats you mentioned. That is so awful :hit:hit:hit:hit
Yes it made me sick! I teared up and it made my husband mad!

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the news today from a friend that her goats had been attacked by 3 pitbulls. Numerous injured. 3 dead. Their faces chewed off. We all know what the pits are bred to do and how they attack and fight. How affective would a LGD be against such an animal? TIA

OK before flying off the handle: WHAT kind of fencing is present if any? How close are the goats to the house, what time of day or night did it happen, and where were the owners? I would need to know a heck of a lot more about this before advocating anything. No one LGD is going to be up to putting off three pit bulls. LGDs are meant to be run in numbers not solo. LGDs typically take two years to mature. So….as others have suggested - maintaining and putting up good dog proof fencing first, not last, and owner watchfulness and participation…and yes, contacting the Pit Bull's owner, and telling them what happened, and discussing options...and filing a report with local sheriff or police. This is not a run out and buy an LGD puppy and toss it in goats so it can become the Pit's next meal deal here….. :mad: I'm sure I am not alone in that opinion. This is not a buy an LGD to plug a hole while the rest of the dam crumbles kind of a deal.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry u are so upset. Didnt mean to upset u at all. Just asking a question. Could the dogs handle them? I would never just get a pup and throw it in there and hope for the best. I have more sense then that. The owners were present and saw the whole thing. Not sure on the other questions u asked.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If the owners were present and saw it happen, why are the dogs still alive? I'd have shot them right then and there... no questions asked and no second chance.

One dog against any pack of attackers will generally not fare well. Average pit weight is 60-80 pounds. Many LGD sellers (today) are selling LGDs of about the same weight. A true LGD, IMHO, should be well north of 100 pounds and all things being equal, would/should have little trouble fending off and if necessary, taking down a single pit. Since LGDs work best as a team of two or more, I would imagine that an experienced/trained LGD team would be able to fend off a trio of pits. I'm not a dog fight promoter and haven't witnessed any of this first hand... just educated guesses.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank u. Would it be better to get pups or buy a team already grown?

Latest posts