LGD QUESTION

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK before flying off the handle: WHAT kind of fencing is present if any? How close are the goats to the house, what time of day or night did it happen, and where were the owners? I would need to know a heck of a lot more about this before advocating anything. No one LGD is going to be up to putting off three pit bulls. LGDs are meant to be run in numbers not solo. LGDs typically take two years to mature. So….as others have suggested - maintaining and putting up good dog proof fencing first, not last, and owner watchfulness and participation…and yes, contacting the Pit Bull's owner, and telling them what happened, and discussing options...and filing a report with local sheriff or police. This is not a run out and buy an LGD puppy and toss it in goats so it can become the Pit's next meal deal here….. :mad: I'm sure I am not alone in that opinion. This is not a buy an LGD to plug a hole while the rest of the dam crumbles kind of a deal.

x2! well said!

Also land size, terrain, predator load ( to include stray dogs) are all considerations.
Far too many underdog and that is a big issue.

Here we have coyotes and sometimes they come in 6-7 at a time- not like some places in TX where they are just unimaginable numbers... but still 6-7 will take out cows calving etc ... yet people will put 1 LGD out there. So wrong!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can find a pair trained that would be amazing and pretty rare. Puppies are not always easy to train (some are) and then there is the waiting for them to grow up but pups are pretty easy to find. If the dogs have good fences to back them up many times the predators will stay away just from the barking.

@Latestarter I don't carry my gun and if I had a dog attack here by the time I got to my house for the gun and back to pasture the deal would most likely be done. Plus I'm not sure I could shoot the dog and miss the goat.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I have an advantage that I can see the goats from the back door/windows. Should I witness an attack in progress, the gun(s) are within easy reach and I (generally) don't miss what I aim at. My guns are sighted to be accurate within about an inch at close range and 2-3" at long range. I used to be much more accurate at long range when I was younger. The longest shot I'd have in either front or back pasture is ~300 yards. To the goat pen, no more than 25 yards. I killed my first mule deer at 450 yards (many, many moons ago).