1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

LGD QUESTION

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by cteague, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

x2! well said!

Also land size, terrain, predator load ( to include stray dogs) are all considerations.
    Far too many underdog and that is a big issue.

Here we have coyotes and sometimes they come in 6-7 at a time- not like some places in TX where they are just unimaginable numbers... but still 6-7 will take out cows calving etc ... yet people will put 1 LGD out there. So wrong!

2. Aug 11, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

If you can find a pair trained that would be amazing and pretty rare. Puppies are not always easy to train (some are) and then there is the waiting for them to grow up but pups are pretty easy to find. If the dogs have good fences to back them up many times the predators will stay away just from the barking.

@Latestarter I don't carry my gun and if I had a dog attack here by the time I got to my house for the gun and back to pasture the deal would most likely be done. Plus I'm not sure I could shoot the dog and miss the goat.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  3. Aug 11, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

I have an advantage that I can see the goats from the back door/windows. Should I witness an attack in progress, the gun(s) are within easy reach and I (generally) don't miss what I aim at. My guns are sighted to be accurate within about an inch at close range and 2-3" at long range. I used to be much more accurate at long range when I was younger. The longest shot I'd have in either front or back pasture is ~300 yards. To the goat pen, no more than 25 yards. I killed my first mule deer at 450 yards (many, many moons ago).