Lisperiosis

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fortified Vitamin B (thiamine is what you really need) is used for treating Goat Polio and the diseases look very similar. Quite often they treat for both since they may not know for sure which one it is.

Not sure about the Gentimicin. I do know that it has an 18 month with holding time for meat. That was pointed out to me when my buckling was on it when he had a septic joint.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your girl doing? I know she's been on gent and now an IV and getting vitamins. I pray she's improving.

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Fortified Vitamin B (thiamine is what you really need) is used for treating Goat Polio and the diseases look very similar. Quite often they treat for both since they may not know for sure which one it is.

Not sure about the Gentimicin. I do know that it has an 18 month with holding time for meat. That was pointed out to me when my buckling was on it when he had a septic joint.

Yes, I have been giving her 5 cc of fortified vitamin B daily. Thanks

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How is your girl doing? I know she's been on gent and now an IV and getting vitamins. I pray she's improving.
She isnt on IV yet, vet is out of town so she is still with me. I am concern about lack of bowl movement and she has been eating and drinking a lot. I decided on my own to give her warm water with electrolyte call "bounce back" she is drinking a lot of that. Along with the daily 5 cc of fortified vitamin B with Thiamin I am giving her Omega 3 plus for goats, its a energy drench high calorie liquid which also has Thiamin, and Probios max. I have cut her feed intake for now. She will not eat any alfalfa hay that I have for her.

jsteph3919

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She isnt on IV yet, vet is out of town so she is still with me. I am concern about lack of bowl movement and she has been eating and drinking a lot. I decided on my own to give her warm water with electrolyte call "bounce back" she is drinking a lot of that. Along with the daily 5 cc of fortified vitamin B with Thiamin I am giving her Omega 3 plus for goats, its a energy drench high calorie liquid which also has Thiamin, and Probios max. I have cut her feed intake for now. She will not eat any alfalfa hay that I have for her.
I am also wondering if anyone has given Miralax for constipation to the goats?

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Glad you seem happier with the new vet. If your goat has listeria, it is essential she gets the correct antibiotic as well, in a big enough dose. Hopefully your vet has been able to advise whether the first advice (of 3 days Gentamicin IM) is enough. i am a bit concerned about this. I confess.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am concerned as well about the choice of drugs. Depending on how long the vet is going to be out of town I would probably switch her to Penicillin. Sometimes goats require us make hard and fast decisions on our own. But I am not a vet so I can't really say what you should do for your goat, there is a reason they get paid the big bucks. :)

Can you hear her rumen working? Listen to her left side and you should hear it rumble about every 30 seconds.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am concerned as well about the choice of drugs. Depending on how long the vet is going to be out of town I would probably switch her to Penicillin. Sometimes goats require us make hard and fast decisions on our own. But I am not a vet so I can't really say what you should do for your goat, there is a reason they get paid the big bucks. :)

Can you hear her rumen working? Listen to her left side and you should hear it rumble about every 30 seconds.
I agree with babsbag. I know nothing about goats, but in humans and some other species I would have no worries about adding in Penicillin. (I am "sheeple" really, but they get listeria too, as do humans)