LocoYokel's kindling thread (aka What the ???)

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I went out to palpate Suki yesterday but she was busy pulling chest fur to add to the nest she has started in a corner! I am taking that as a prego/positive and am not going to ruffle any fur further. I really want her to have a successful pregnancy this time. She also had some loose stool, not quite full diarrhea but definitely not firm pellets. Absolutely nothing has been changed or added to her diet: CHS Payback 18% and grass hay. The hay is the same I have fed out all winter. Mineral block and water, check.
We had a very loud, very long thunderstorm two days ago, stress? Could hormones cause the runs? It does coincide with her nest building, even if she is starting two weeks early!
(she likes the no-skid strips I put on the ledges) 20170501_135840.jpg

Tilda's kits got sexed again, or at least I practiced sexing again... :barnie The biggest black still looks female and the runt still looks male. At least those two stayed the same. Now I am thinking the other black is a female also. The grey/brown roan is definitely male, got that one wrong for sure! The blue? which I thought was a male was either being shy or my fingers were just WAY too cold... absolutely nothing popped up there...o_O Got some cute pics tho!
20170501_140339.jpg

Pretty Boy Floyd: (the runt whose color I like so much, not so runty anymore)
20170501_140307.jpg

The herd at work:
20170501_135920.jpg

Ella dreaming of weaning:
20170501_140035.jpg

Tilda really posed for this one:
20170501_132722.jpg

A better pic of 'Nando:
20170501_133132.jpg

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
haha you have got some really cute pics! I chuckled at the "daydreaming of weaning" photo. You should put it in for Picture of the Week, be sure to include that title haha. :)

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Quick update, @Bunnylady, yes they are New Zealands, or at the least 3/4, the breeder thought there might be some Checkered G in there due to where he got the dams from and the size. I can see some of the CG body shape when they are not bred or "pudgy", if that is the case. He also told me Tilda IS at the least, a Silver Martin or X, she came from another breeder and he could not remember what else those people had. Tilda was sold when he 'thinned' his herd. Pookie, the FG buck is purebred (pics to come, he should be 'visiting' Tilda next week), and the only albino in the litter... and the runt.

:hide I checked Ella real close today and moved four of the six kits out, at six weeks it was time and she is thin, too thin for my liking. I have read I should leave FG babies with their dams longer due to bone growth. Well... they grew and she is bony. Calf Manna for that sweetheart, I should have kept it up until weaning but when the kits started eating from the feeder I didn't want them to overdo... I don't like runny rabbit doodoo! Now I have a skinny doe, yep, that one, the one I thought too old and fat to breed has turned into my best momma I am thinkin'. My other does get testy, she gets sweeter... the rabbit I didn't want...:oops:

My buck is also thin. I was told two when I got him which makes him around four now. Checked him all over and no lumps or lesions. He came from a different breeder also so I am still unsure of anything but Silver Fox in him.

I finally found where my DH hid my scales, I just saw it three weeks ago in the storeroom... now to get a ladder that reaches to the attic in the shop... o_O A momma robin has nested in the top rung of the one I usually use so it is busy at the moment. Yes, another nest to watch!! :pop

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Found these two in their Aunt Suki's hutch last week, the new hutch was NOT baby proof it seems. It is now! ;) The lil' broken has almost the same marking as Suki and it really messed with my head when I saw it first: Like Suki had shrunk! :ep Something wasn't right but until I got closer it was just weird... I weaned the other 4 kits that day and these two a few days ago. Ella is very happy to have them all gone, I can just see it in her face.
20170502_185525.jpg

Speaking of Suki, she got her nesting box last night. She is due Monday. I hope she doesn't start using it for a litter box as she is rather a 'dirty' rabbit that way. :sick Then again I am just hoping this kindling goes well. It is her third breeding and I really do not want to cull her... :bow:fl:bow

The robin has left her nest, thank you neighbor's cat.:mad: I also have been finding robin eggs in my yard, unhatched, with just a tiny hole poked in them... probably the starlings, they are nasty birds.:(

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Last edited:

HaloRabbits

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also studied biology in college, more into animals and humans than plants. Plant biology was the worst for me. Fingers crossed for Suki.

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

(Captain's Log: Stardate/Earth o4.14.17
Mothership Suki has been restocked for her third voyage.
Due to Fleet General Pookie's tribble trouble Fleet General FurNando did the inspection and gave an "All systems go."
The "Suki" has been restationed into permanent quarters in the new fleet barn. All future flights shall now originate from those co-ordinates.)

Captain's Log: Stardate Earth 05.24.17
Starbase Barn: The Mothership Suki has once again failed in her mission. After a brief transmission on day 14 all communication was lost before her landing.
The Suki was closely examined while docked at day 27 of her mission, at which time she was found to have to have an external obstruction of debris in her rear propulsion engine.
This Captain is sure this was due to the Klingon Nation. Klingons are the most likely suspect responsible for the failure of the Suki's mission. Fleet General FurNando and the Mothership Suki herself both gave successful log reports at the time of her restocking which have been recorded here in Starbase Barn's records.
The failure of the Suki's mission shall not be taken into account at this time due to possible collusion of Klingon activity.
After removal of the debris and the fact of her new quarters having complete "galvi-net" substrate we here at Starbase Barn feel that the Suki is ready for another mission.
Starbase Barn and I, as Captain do not recommend her decommissioning at this time due to external factors.
The Suki will be restocked and sent out again within 48 hours.