1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to rescue/ buy heard. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Everything Else Llamas & Alpacas' started by MysticMtn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Loving the herd life

Soooooooooooo.....pictures soon? I think alpacas are adorable!

2. Sep 14, 2017
    MysticMtn

MysticMtn Just born

I will post some pictures and such after I sign the papers. I am trying to get a vet out there to take a look. I don't want to get too excited yet. I am more or less adopting the animals and assuming their cost.

Baymule likes this.
  3. Nov 21, 2017
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Any updates?

4. Dec 2, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

I'm way late to this party but in answer to the question about letting them go unsheared through a 2nd winter (if it is still a question) - yes do it. I was gifted two 7 year old geldings October last year that had not been shorn since spring the PRIOR year. They did fine through the winter happily standing out in the snow. They would even be outside all night long though they have a door into the barn that is open 24 hours a day.

They were suffering through the summer before I got them though. They were HOT and only came out of their barn for pellets when we took care of them for 2 weeks in September while their owners were on vacation house hunting in Florida. Even after being sheared this past spring they stayed in the barn or just outside the north door in the shade during the day a lot through the summer.