- Oct 23, 2011
- Reaction score
- East Texas
I have four sheep coming, hopefully that will help, while I research remedy.
Before I tell you what I know about Remedy, NEVER believe every glowing thing any herbicide, feed supplement or breed association says...more on that later in the thread.
I keep this website bookmarked..you can find the specimen labels (instructions) and the MSDS of almost any product by any brand in the USA.
Remedy Ultra (the current version of Remedy) is:
1. In most states, an unrestricted herbicide, meaning you don't need an applicator's license to buy it.
2. Active ingredient is Triclopyr.
3. Inactive ingredients, are a trade secret.
4. It mixes equaly well with water, diesel, and most crop (vegetable) oils especially canola (rape seed) oil, but those oils are often much more expensive than diesel.
5. It's a selective broadleaf herbicide that will not harm most grasses tho it can kill or at yeast damage forages such as clover and alfalfa.
6. It has no soil activity..no residual action. (It acts only on the plant itself and it's root system)
7. It mixes good with other herbicides such as 2,4-d, & Sendero.
8. Like most herbicides, it needs a non-ionic surfactant mixed with it..the surfactant makes the droplets spread out over the leaf and stem instead of beading up. Many people use dishwater detergent as a surfactant. I'm not a big fan of doing it.
9. Unless things have changed, you can legally only apply 8qts per acre per year on non-grazed land and only 2 qts per acre on grazed range land. That, is a LOT of herbicide, considering the usual tank mix recommendation for my use was & is 1-2 qts Remedy/100 gallons of water. Regardless..do not exceed those limits..It's The Law!
10. When I was in West Texas and we were using Remedy for prickly pear, huisache, and mesquite control. We moved the cattle, goats and sheep off the area being treated for 48 hours and then let them back in to graze. But, the label states there are no grazing restrictions or time limits for Remedy Ultra. YRMV.
11. Watch how much you are spraying as a spot spray..it is a lot easier to exceed the annual allowed limit when spot spraying than when broadcast spraying.
12. Keep it away from water. It can kill aquatic life and aquatic plants.
There are other herbicides labeled for huisache such as Sendero, I have used it, didn't like it, has a LOT of restrictions Remedy does not have, and unless things have changed, it is not labeled for most states. I believe only for Tx, Ok, La, Az, and NM, and it's more expensive than Remedy Ultra. IIRC, $136/gallon.