Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another thing with that wrap....when the sneak a bunch of rebaled on you, sometimes the wrap hasn't been fully removed! I pull some of the pads apart on any new load, to check for that. Sometimes you see it sticking out on the sides. Apparently rebaling rounds to square is a "thing" now. Just make $ on that. :idunno

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another thing with that wrap....when the sneak a bunch of rebaled on you, sometimes the wrap hasn't been fully removed! I pull some of the pads apart on any new load, to check for that. Sometimes you see it sticking out on the sides. Apparently rebaling rounds to square is a "thing" now. Just make $ on that. :idunno
That is so wrong!!

If you think you are buying fresh new hay.... well... it should be just that!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some hay producers bale big round bales to get them off the field quicker and MUCH easier. Then they bale squares to order. Makes sense to me. But not the webbing.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉
I was high enough on the list to get a ewe!
This girl will be ready in June. An excellent birthday present to myself.
Screenshot_20220501-162053_Chrome.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful ewe lamb! Congratulations I know you are thrillled!
Happy birthday to Dominic, stockyards is a good idea for birthday celebration.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some hay producers bale big round bales to get them off the field quicker and MUCH easier. Then they bale squares to order. Makes sense to me. But not the webbing.
We have done it sometimes too. Mostly it is because we ran out of square bales for a customer, and they are not equipped to handle a round bale. Sometimes we don't get enough sq bales done, and then a later cutting is on a field that is farther away so it is quicker both to bale round bales and transport them home than sq baler/wagons and all that. So for many it really is about the ease to get them off the field; it is a royal PITA to take a round bale and have to then run it though a sq baler in the barn floor... because usually it is when it is raining out or snow or something....You have handled the round bale, which is not as much as a wagon load of sq bales, but then you have to undo your work, BY HAND, and feed it into the sq baler and then handle the sq bales. Anyone that doesn't take care of the plastic is a JERK... but there are a few here and there that use a special machine that "cuts the bales into quarters" and such, and then they could get much more easily run through a sq baler... and the plastic could very well still be on the bale... which is laziness. That is poor business practices if nothing else...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to ask a question but nevermind .....

The longhorn balloon hat was not a good idea...
Because it is too much like a sword? And shouldn't a longhorn have TWO horns?

You have handled the round bale, which is not as much as a wagon load of sq bales, but then you have to undo your work, BY HAND, and feed it into the sq baler
..... because Jan answered it. I can't imagine the time it takes to rebale a round into a bunch of squares feeding the hay by hand.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pepper and Dash have been with me for a month now. They are still standoffish but understand I'm food lady. They will let me enter pen and get within a few feet without freaking out.

So it's time for next step, learning electric fence.⚡ I set up a small section inside the corral and energized it. So far they've figured out the poles don't bite but string does sometimes. One short tangle but I freed her quickly. 🤦‍♀️ Pepper stuck her head thru the shelter crate to taste it and panicked when it zapped. Maybe she was seeing if it would bite while she was "hidden"? 🤷‍♀️

We'll continue short supervised sessions for awhile. Then I'll move them in with Aria. I may have to go 3 strand to start with because their so short.