Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Road base, then sand or topsoil over it. Where I want to put a barn in the front pasture is low and would turn into a mud pit. I have to be able to back up to it to unload feed. I’ll have to build up the short “road” and the pad for the barn.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish I had put in a row of cinderblocks around the base of my barn. It would've slowed runoff coming in.... and stopped what little base I did have from sliding out.
You could put gutters on the barn, down spouts that go to a black flex pipe, buried under ground and drained away from the barn. Also get the screen that goes over the gutter and you’ll never have to clean it. The gutter guys show up, make the gutter on the spot, no seams to leak!

Or direct the down spouts to tanks to save the rain water and use it to water livestock.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could put gutters on the barn, down spouts that go to a black flex pipe, buried under ground and drained away from the barn. Also get the screen that goes over the gutter and you’ll never have to clean it. The gutter guys show up, make the gutter on the spot, no seams to leak!

Or direct the down spouts to tanks to save the rain water and use it to water livestock.
...Funny your should mention that.. Years ago I put a gutter on the up-hill side of the barn and ran it to burred black corrugated drain pipe that ran alllll the way over to the pasture. Over the years the pipe got crushed and dug up. so now the 40' of gutter drains into/onto the ground right at the corner.
Tonight's project (IF I get home in time) is cleaning the gutter, cutting the downspout and attaching a 'new' piece of black corrugated drain pipe between the gutter and the IBC tote that was baby Eva's hay feeder, cobbling together a leaf filter on top of the Tote & waiting for tomorrow's rain to see if it works.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the meantime, you can put a couple bales of straw down in the lambing pen. Years ago during one of the El Nino years, we had rain for a straight month. Kidding season of course. The barn started to flood and we just kept adding more bales of straw to keep the animals off the 2" of standing water that accumulated. Cleaning out the barn was he//ish, since we have to clean the barn by hand - no tractor access - but at least our does were able to kid, no kids drowned, and the kids were dry until the monsoons ended.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
...Funny your should mention that.. Years ago I put a gutter on the up-hill side of the barn and ran it to burred black corrugated drain pipe that ran alllll the way over to the pasture. Over the years the pipe got crushed and dug up. so now the 40' of gutter drains into/onto the ground right at the corner.
Tonight's project (IF I get home in time) is cleaning the gutter, cutting the downspout and attaching a 'new' piece of black corrugated drain pipe between the gutter and the IBC tote that was baby Eva's hay feeder, cobbling together a leaf filter on top of the Tote & waiting for tomorrow's rain to see if it works.
.... well THAT didn't go as planned 😠

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So Dash had a suprise for me this morning! She had a baby girl. Her new owner is so excited.
20230210_075153.jpg
20230210_104354.jpg

Latest posts