Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is my rough idea for pasture layouts. Each field is 1 - 1.5 acres for 10acres total. The woods are 2.9 acres. The ground was really soft close to pond so using the existing "roads" as I can. Green is future house and barn. Orange are gates.
2309 CR 801C w paddocks.jpg

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is one length of double fencing besides the driveway. I'll have to see if I can figure out different way. Is 1- 1.5acre a decent size paddock?

The soil is loamy clay per Johnson County Soil Survey. I will have actual survey soon with septic install and also my own digging.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might need to go through the area where the range was multiple times with magnets and see if you can remove the spent ammo. Dunno if they were using actual lead or not, but if they were, it's not something you want critters to be ingesting or have it contaminate anything you might eat.

Congratulations on the property!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might need to go through the area where the range was multiple times with magnets and see if you can remove the spent ammo.
😡 Good point. Should seller have disclosed private gun range in documents? We didn't get over there til husband looked with surveyors.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pasture on left bottom corner looks to have a gate right at the road. That makes it accessible to people on the road. I suppose the small green square is the barn? It needs to be where you can drive to it to unload feed or hay.

The lane you have laid out connects almost all your pastures. Make it wide enough for a tractor and put 16’ gates opening to the lane. Swing room for the tractor, you might need to mow pastures.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
😡 Good point. Should seller have disclosed private gun range in documents? We didn't get over there til husband looked with surveyors.
Dunno if that is something required to be disclosed, your realtor should know. Would that knowledge have changed your offer or inspection requests? If not, then it's probably fine, if yes, talk to your realtor about options, but if you want the property anyway there might not be anything you can do.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pasture on left bottom corner looks to have a gate right at the road. That makes it accessible to people on the road. I suppose the small green square is the barn?
The pasture on bottom left has current gate. It's a 8ft wide gate with huge tree limb limitting clearance to about 9ft. We are installing a 30ft wide culvert and new gate on north side of the tree. The 8ft gate will eventually get reused elsewhere and hole in fenceline patched. Until then it will be padlocked.

The small green square is loafing shed/barn. The big green square is kid safe yard and house. It may get moved closer to road. We need to confirm if we get 400ft or 300ft free wire with power pole install.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually the extension office will have soil maps of the area....

Each area on the map will be marked to show what soil type it is.

Then there will be a key that says the general potential animal units for that soil type when kept in native vegetation.

The key will also list the best native types of plants that will be found there.

You can then go out and match up what you have growing, with what the key said you could have.

After doing that... you sit down and pencil out which areas of your property can hold how many animal units...

Now... it could be that your property is uniform, all the same, and just the front half was cleared of trees and the back wasn't. Or it could be that you have 2 soil types, front half and then the wooded section.

Or... you could have even more than 2 kinds.

The reason to figure that all out first.... is you might have one corner that has bad or very shallow soil that will never grow much grass, and a different section that is awesome. So.... the bad corner might need 5 acres for an animal unit, and the really good area might only need 1 acre for an animal unit.

That is all more info for you, as you decide how big each pasture should be.

It is nice if a sacrificial area with some kind of shelter and water can be in the middle, and then all pastures come off of that.

Latest posts