Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a friend come over last week for some sheep therapy. Her mom died of covid, just days later, her step father died, the next day her step mom died. Poor woman was hit from all sides. Plus she is going to the hospital in another week for double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery. Breast cancer runs in her family and she doesn't want cancer. She and her friend went into the sheep barn and got mugged for attention from the ewes.

Sheba and Setry were in there and Sentry just went ga-ga over the two ladies. Both got lots of licky-face and Anatolian hugs. Sheba finally warmed up to them. I finally caught one of Miranda's lambs and my friend held her, hugged, squeezed and kissed that lamb. Aria came up to her for scratches and petting. My friend was delighted. They both thought Aria was the prettiest in the whole flock. Aria was super sweet and my fried left with a big smile on her face.

There's nothing like sheep and dog hugs when life kicks you down.
Sounds lovely. :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried to get a good picture of Snip for you. After he got a drink of water, he just wanted to come to me for me to pet him. Here’s the best pictures I got. You probably aren’t interested in the bodacious booger nose close ups I got. LOL
76F86166-B98F-4E70-9ABD-C93F3DE6A68D.jpeg

A374B2C0-4EA9-4CA6-BB3D-4BCB73951409.jpeg

And Aria

317CE62F-C110-4959-AFA1-A02B72A532FF.jpeg

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have septic vault in the ground. The delivery truck was neat.
20210928_170124.jpg
There is a hiccup though. Septic quote didn't include tying the drain lines together under the house. They said that's normally part on install. I hope so or we are looking at another $2k.

heidil

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If it's under 2 feet deep can you call it a pond?
Heck, here in Florida they'd call that a lake! LOL

Anyway, I'm wishing you much success! We purchased 5 acres of raw land (jungle) here in Florida and it's amazing what you can get done in a few short years with determination. We still work full-time jobs but we worked ourselves to the point that we felt like limp noodles each weekend.

We don't have as much on the line as you do. We're not trying to turn it into a profitable business (just our retirement farm). But I admire (& envy) folks SO MUCH who make this lifestyle their living. Best of luck and sincere wishes for great success!

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't have as much on the line as you do. We're not trying to turn it into a profitable business (just our retirement farm). But I admire (& envy) folks SO MUCH who make this lifestyle their living. Best of luck and sincere wishes for great success!
I like my dayjob and will probably keep it. The plan is to develop ranch into second full income. The minimum requirement is ranch to break even so it isn't drain on finances.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
After 7 years here, raising meat chickens, a few feeder pigs each year, we were finally showing a profit. Because the slaughter places were so backed up, we stopped slaughtering lambs and took them to auction. My goal was to raise and sell enough to pay for our consumption and be able to give meat to my kids. We met that goal and slowly expanded to making a small profit.

Apply for a Texas sales tax exemption. List raising sheep and bees for your Ag. With all the infrastructure you need to build, it will save you a lot of money. Fill out a farm schedule on your taxes. In January file for Ag exemption on your farm. It took 5 years for mine to come through. It will take awhile, but it will save you money.

I will be moving my farm equipment to my son’s. I don’t know where I will wind up, but I’m not quitting. I may be down, but I’m not out.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Apply for a Texas sales tax exemption. List raising sheep and bees for your Ag. With all the infrastructure you need to build, it will save you a lot of money. Fill out a farm schedule on your taxes. In January file for Ag exemption on your farm. It took 5 years for mine to come through. It will take awhile, but it will save you money.
I already have my Texas sales tax exemption thanks to advice from co-worker. The property already has an active Ag Valuation status. Per my research and the Johnson County form, I can continue Ag Valuation without the 5 year wait using my bees and sheep.