Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I have push to get bees and sheep going. I have to file Ag Valuation by end of April.

Sheep math has started... πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸπŸ
I don't want Snip and Aria in same pen. She should have a rest before being bred again. That means I need a weather/ram buddy for Snip and an ewe buddy for Aria. I told my husband I'm getting myself 4 sheep for Hannukah and he could help with accessories. He just sighed.🀣

I'm thinking 1 acre paddock with 2x4 no climb divided down middle with electric for first paddock. An 8x8 shelter with removable center divider to start. Idea is to be able to move it with pickup.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's just me, but I'd probably go for a permanent shelter. Moving stuff all the time gets old. I'm a big believer in make it easy. If it is wet, you will make ruts with pickup and dragging a shelter. If it's muddy, you may not be able to use a pick up.

To keep from a shelter in every pasture, center a shelter and make pastures that connect to it, close the gates to the pastures that you don't want them in, open the gates to the pastures that you do want them in. Make it easy on yourself. You are a working mom, you need easy.

I just happen to have a wether, Snip's triplet brother that I bottle raised.............

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's just me, but I'd probably go for a permanent shelter. Moving stuff all the time gets old. I'm a big believer in make it easy. If it is wet, you will make ruts with pickup and dragging a shelter. If it's muddy, you may not be able to use a pick up.

To keep from a shelter in every pasture, center a shelter and make pastures that connect to it, close the gates to the pastures that you don't want them in, open the gates to the pastures that you do want them in. Make it easy on yourself. You are a working mom, you need easy.

I just happen to have a wether, Snip's triplet brother that I bottle raised.............
Yep! Easy!

And that was on my "i get to put my dream fences on your pasture layout". One central area with feed and water, and pastures rotate off of that feed and water spot.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
😭 I can't find 4ft tall 2"x4" woven wire anywhere?! All the normal sources TSC, McCoys, Lowes, Home Depot Atwoods, etc list it as out of stock. I found one place online, kencove, but they are 1/3 more..

Last edited:

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule @Alaskan Will 4"x4" woven wire stand up to sheep and cows putting hooves on it? That is what permiter fence is made of. It's been stomped on enough it's 3ft tall. The previous owners had to add 3 strands of barbed wire on top to make up height.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is current setup with first 2 paddocks. They are approxiamtely 3/4 acre each. I'm going to rebuild the loafing shed as first barn.

20211003_083914.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule @Alaskan Will 4"x4" woven wire stand up to sheep and cows putting hooves on it? That is what permiter fence is made of. It's been stomped on enough it's 3ft tall. The previous owners had to add 3 strands of barbed wire on top to make up height.
Put up the 4X4” wire, it will be a good fence. Run a hot wire top and bottom, possibly middle too. Horses and cattle can be real hard on a fence. Wish I had hot wired this place. Now I have wire I got to go straighten out.
Just don’t use welded wire or field fencing.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Week 10
- Wire is in trench and buried. It still needs terminated at both ends
- Pex B conduit for fiber is run and into house.
- Septic tank, sprinklers, etc are in the ground.
- Ran into issue during inspection because we shifted tank 30ft to east. That puts it at end of house not directly inline with backdoor. The dimensions of where tank went were not marked on the drawing at all. It might cost us $300 -$475 to get inspector hissy fit settled.
- We are trying to find a local plumber to do sewer line assembly under the trailer. All the pieces were shipped un installed.

Lots of progress but more work to go. Biggest holdup right now is electrical coop putting power to meter. I've got first paddocks figured out. Now I need fencing!.

Last edited: