Mating different breeds of rabbits?

member9236

Just born
Reaction score
is it OK to mate different breeds of rabbits for example I have three does we call them here Maltese Rabbits but I think they are New Zealand White can I mate them with mini type male rabbits or other big breeds
any answer or experience or god resources about this subject is highly appreciated as I searched online but I couldn't find a good resources about breeding different breeds of rabbits and what will I get from them and rabbit genes and color etc

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!:frow

Yes, you can breed different breeds together, but of course, what you have will be mixed breed rabbits. They are all the same species, so you can cross 'em every which way. What you wind up with depends on what you started with, but cross bred offspring usually wind up somewhere between the parents in type.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bunnylady is right on with her comments. I would like to add that If you're wanting to show then you cannot. Pets (if you've a market for them) or meat rabbits are fine.

Marie28

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would also like to add that the doe needs to be a bigger breed or same size as the buck. It can cause lots of complications for the mama. I don't have any experience with this, but from all the research I have done for my own rabbits, mixing breeds can come up with some fun and interesting results.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!! Mixing different breeds is how new breeds get started, so keep trying, and have fun! @Marie28 is exactly right. If the buck is significantly larger than the doe, it may result in death of the dam, stillborn kits, and major birth complications.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of the best meat rabbits are crosses. New Zealand White and Californian are a good cross. Often if you save the offspring for breeders, they have better vigor than the purebreds they came from.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of the best meat rabbits are crosses. New Zealand White and Californian are a good cross. Often if you save the offspring for breeders, they have better vigor than the purebreds they came from.
The cross may or may not have better vigor. It just depends on what genes come together. They can have better vigor, same as eather parent or worse depending on what genes are inherited.

Binky&Bugsy

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!!! Mixing different breeds is how new breeds get started, so keep trying, and have fun! @Marie28 is exactly right. If the buck is significantly larger than the doe, it may result in death of the dam, stillborn kits, and major birth complications.
Hi, I’m just looking a little bit of advice. My partner and I have a 6 month old dwarf Netherland doe and we just recently adopted a harlequin buck which we were told he was about 8 months but from experience I think he’s around 6-7 months.
At first we were told he was a she and that is why we adopted him for a friend for our netherland but from experience I knew bonding was a bit to easy and noticed the buck mating and falling off so I decided to sex him myself to then see that ‘she’ was actually a he and then panicked because he mated with our doe. She is is showing all signs of pregnancy and I am worried with her being a dwarf and him being a medium sized rabbit will it harm her to go through with the pregnancy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I’m just looking a little bit of advice. My partner and I have a 6 month old dwarf Netherland doe and we just recently adopted a harlequin buck which we were told he was about 8 months but from experience I think he’s around 6-7 months.
At first we were told he was a she and that is why we adopted him for a friend for our netherland but from experience I knew bonding was a bit to easy and noticed the buck mating and falling off so I decided to sex him myself to then see that ‘she’ was actually a he and then panicked because he mated with our doe. She is is showing all signs of pregnancy and I am worried with her being a dwarf and him being a medium sized rabbit will it harm her to go through with the pregnancy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Basic rabbit rules are if it’s healthy, and the buck is same size or smaller you should be fine with a cross. Obviously, rabbits don’t play by the rules🤣. I’d keep an eye out and watch out, but not much to I can really do unfortunately. Look up what some people did to help their does, it might help.

Beebs172

Just born
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!:frow

Yes, you can breed different breeds together, but of course, what you have will be mixed breed rabbits. They are all the same species, so you can cross 'em every which way. What you wind up with depends on what you started with, but cross bred offspring usually wind up somewhere between the parents in type.
Hey! So, I am a rabbit breeder. I breed Netherland Dwarfs currently, I hand tame them and sell them as pets. But I am looking to expand my business by cross breeding. I want to cross my male Netherland Dwarf with a Lion Head female. Would this work? The thing is Lion Heads are bigger than Netherland Dwarfs, so if the female is larger, then more babies could be born. Also, Lion Heads are generally pretty big. So if I breed her with a Netherland Dwarf, then I get the beautiful Lion Head fur in a small bunny. Is any of this possible?

Thanks!!