Messybun’s fence problems.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many joules is the charger? And what about ditching the braided wire and using a bare wire. Dont go with a light gauge wire like I did. As I understand it and I’m no expert. The heavier gauge wire carries more current.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How many joules is the charger? And what about ditching the braided wire and using a bare wire. Dont go with a light gauge wire like I did. As I understand it and I’m no expert. The heavier gauge wire carries more current.
Because bare wire rusts out in a few months, the copper in the braid hasn’t so far. I believe 26, but I’ll have to check. We bought a charger rated for cattle and goats.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What about stainless steel wire?

I’m afraid that’s what I’ve used in the past. I’ve also tried aluminum, which somehow lasts a bit longer. Even some of my fence is starting to rust and it’s only been up for two years. I’ve started using bailing twine to tie the fence because it lasts way longer.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You don't(fix it).
You buy woven fence and add more hot wire to keep 💩s off it.

Technically, you can use baling string or wire to knot the joints back together. But I've found that they're super weak from all fronts. If a vertical pops from a horizontal, that vertical may snap easy peasy where the horizontal used to be & vice versa.

Stores really need to stop selling it(thin welded wire) and chickenwire in the fencing departments. They're temporary (garden) fencing or stucco mesh, and have no long term use for anything else.
Same with the U-post garden posts, except that I feel those shouldn't be made at all. Those things rust in nearly no time, very easy to bend and are impossible to remove! Wood or T-posts only!

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You don't(fix it).
You buy woven fence and add more hot wire to keep 💩s off it.

Technically, you can use baling string or wire to knot the joints back together. But I've found that they're super weak from all fronts. If a vertical pops from a horizontal, that vertical may snap easy peasy where the horizontal used to be & vice versa.

Stores really need to stop selling it(thin welded wire) and chickenwire in the fencing departments. They're temporary (garden) fencing or stucco mesh, and have no long term use for anything else.
Same with the U-post garden posts, except that I feel those shouldn't be made at all. Those things rust in nearly no time, very easy to bend and are impossible to remove! Wood or T-posts only!

Will woven wire keep them from pushing under it, or will it just scrunch?
Yep, already got good t-posts lol. When we got the goats we were warned that woven wire would catch their horns and could kill them. Thus the sheep and goat fence. There’s a lot I’ve learned since starting, and too much more left to learn, but so much misinformation when we started.
Oh, and using the hog rings and bending the wire worked beautifully. Well, it’s not beautiful but it’s strong and that’s what counts.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
i ll have to ask dh but we got one electric wire thats three braided wires together and they yellow,black and silver cant remember what it was called but i works well. also maybe the ribbons they use for horse paddocks???. dh made a paddock that litterally looked like something off of jurasic park. and one goat would still test it until i soaked him with water after that shock he decided it wasnt worth it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just got finished with our fence struggles with our goats. For 5yrs we have not been able to keep them in any fence....until our latest build. They started by pushing under our fence, so we put hot wire around the bottom, then they went to jumping over the fence, any fence, we have seen them go over 5ft pipe rail fence....really ridiculous.

So the new fence is woven wire and galvanized 14gauge electric wire. We have 5" stand off insulators that face into the pen, one hip wire, and two wires around the top one at 4ft and one at 4.5 ft give or take. Then we got a Power Wizard PW1500 ultra low impedance fencer with three 8 ft grounding rods.

It's been 2 weeks and our leader who is the jumper has not even tried at all to jump the fence. Now our buck we saw yesterday is reaching thru the fence just enough to nip the tops of the plants on the other side......so we are going to add another wire. The electric does work because when he accidently hits it he yells and goes running away.

This is our 3rd fencer and the only one that works so far. The fence reads over 7,000 volts everywhere on it. The larger the wire the more current it can carry that is true. I would get rid of the poly and go to regular 14gauge galvanized wire, our goats didnt give to figs about poly. Yes goats do get their heads stuck in woven wire if their horns are the right size....keeping the wire hot keeps them from putting their head far enough thru to get stuck though.

It has only been 2 weeks but these goats have never stayed in any pen for more then 24hrs for years. If they get out of this fence we are done owning goats.

Last edited: