Microchip for livestock, would you?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My daughter "rescued " a chihuahua female. She had it spayed and microchiped. About a year later, she develovped a tumer at the chip site. Vet removed the tumer as well as the imbedded chip inside the tumer, than put in another chip. Cost $1,200 A year later the dog had a new tumer . Daughter took the dog to another Vet. for surgery to remove the tumer as well as to remove the chip. Cost $ 1,278 . NO, she did NOT have another chip put in.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think Secuno meant that tattoo-ing would cut the ear off.... My guess is that she was referring to the fact that a thief can cut off an ear and the animal can't be identified if the tattoo-d ear is missing.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
2 of my LGDs and my Bcs are chipped. They don't wear collars so the only way to identify them if they get lost. I almost lost one to a collar strangulation as a pup so no collars unless we are on the road traveling or on leash. The other two LGDs will be done if I ever get them to a vet.

The cat vaccine frequently causes lumps, I believe it is the preservative in the shot. They moved the location from the neck to the hip as it is easier to remove the lump on the hip. I was told that is usually cancer.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, you can cut an ear off if it has a tattoo and then the animal doesn't have identification. I've heard and seen stories of dog ears being removed when its tattooed so the stolen dog cannot be traced.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chips will probably be mandated sooner or later for all livestock. USDA has had it on the agenda for years but so far, it's just in the planning stage.
The plan:
The program — which is thus far voluntary, but could eventually become mandatory — is designed to unfold in three stages.
First, farmers and producers would register the barns, factories, slaughterhouses, and even homes where their animals — be they 10,000 cows, a dozen chickens, or a single potbellied pig — reside and are processed.
Second, animals born or living on those premises would be assigned a 15-digit federal ID number and a tag — in some cases, an implanted radio-frequency identification (RFID) device. But producers of certain species such as chickens and swine that are bought, moved, and slaughtered in big groups could be allowed to identify an entire lot with a single ID number — a less time-intensive and expensive process. Critics argue that since factory farms are in the business of mass production of animals, this would present them with a cost advantage. Miller says this is a loophole that effectively “renders the whole program moot.”

Third, data on each animal’s whereabouts would be compiled and regularly updated in a centralized computer network, which the USDA expects to be up and running on a national scale by 2009 at the earliest. The department has suggested that animals’ RFID tags could eventually be tracked real-time by a Global Positioning System, but there is no clear time frame for this scenario.
It's just a matter of time.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chips will probably be mandated sooner or later for all livestock. USDA has had it on the agenda for years but so far, it's just in the planning stage.
The plan:

It's just a matter of time.

So far fighting this off has been successful and we need to keep it that way!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tin foil hat I am. :hide

In response to general chip fear, if it is not a registered chip and then scanned, it cannot be traced.
That's why I thought a chip, but not registered, might be helpful to some to prove identity w hen sheep runs off or found local and stolen. But if further taken away in theft, then registry helps find the owner.
I know gov't can suck, But it's not like the chip can remotely send signals all alone.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
But it's not like the chip can remotely send signals all alone.
That's just what they want us to believe.. :hide:old

(I'm not much on conspiracy theories at all)

Alaskan..just for you:
(The correct term is an MCPPD---Mind Control Personal Protective Device)