Milk Supply after losing a kid

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a 3*M ND doe who kidded unexpectedly (previous owner gave me wrong breed date) on Saturday while I was away from home and one of her two kids did not make it.

I am relying on her as a big part of my home milking and I want to know how to best maintain her supply between now and the two week mark when I’ll start milking once a day.

I assume bottle feeding the baby is the best way, but I have never done it and have a young toddler of my own who makes things a little difficult. Any advice for this newbie? Thanks! (PS Handsome little dude isn’t he? I’ve got him up on craigslist hoping someone wants him as a bottle baby... good idea?)

Attachments

• ADD67F28-1E67-4FA8-9B40-09274E844879.jpeg
    ADD67F28-1E67-4FA8-9B40-09274E844879.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 226

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
While I can't give you advice on milking, I'm sure you will find a home for him. There's always someone looking for a bottle baby. Bump your CL ad often, and try facebook groups too. Be sure to point out how great it will be as a pet because bottle feeding really bonds them with you. He's definitely a cutie!

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
While I can't give you advice on milking, I'm sure you will find a home for him. There's always someone looking for a bottle baby. Bump your CL ad often, and try facebook groups too. Be sure to point out how great it will be as a pet because bottle feeding really bonds them with you. He's definitely a cutie!
Thanks so much. I had someone pick him up yesterday. Hoping I made the right decision! She was pretty lopsided already, but has evened our for the most part as of this morning.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
:love Well, now you are milking 2X day and probably figured out how to handle the toddler, also! We adapt. hang a swing seat for your own young one to occupy while you milk.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Milking and bottle raising kids is better to keep the udders even. Often kids and lambs prefer one side to the other and this can be a problem. Since this is a 3*** milker, are you planning to show or just milk for home consumption? If you want to show be sure to pull the kids immediately and put them on bottles so the udder will stay even. Heavy milkers (*** milkers) put a lot of strain on their udder attachments. Since she is a 3*** milker I would milk her out 2 x a day instead of only once, to keep her lactation yield high, and to protect her udder. Otherwise not only will she cut her production but the strain on the attachments might cause them to break down earlier than they normally would. How old is she?

WildersMilkMaid

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Milking and bottle raising kids is better to keep the udders even. Often kids and lambs prefer one side to the other and this can be a problem. Since this is a 3*** milker, are you planning to show or just milk for home consumption? If you want to show be sure to pull the kids immediately and put them on bottles so the udder will stay even. Heavy milkers (*** milkers) put a lot of strain on their udder attachments. Since she is a 3*** milker I would milk her out 2 x a day instead of only once, to keep her lactation yield high, and to protect her udder. Otherwise not only will she cut her production but the strain on the attachments might cause them to break down earlier than they normally would. How old is she?
I bought her from a woman who shows her goats, but mine are just for home dairy. We drink a LOT of milk between us and my close-by extended family. I don’t have an interest in showing, but do want to maintain a quality dairy herd. Was thrilled to purchase her and add her to my herd! She is 4 years old. I sold her kid as a bottle baby and am milking her twice a day. She is doing great, excellent production and beautiful udder, and the baby is doing great at his new home as well. Thank you very much for the advice!

Latest posts