Milking Stands

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Anyone want to share their own milk stand pictures? I just finished mine, though I haven't taken a picture of the finished project yet. I honestly didn't use any plans and just kinda winged it. I bet when it actually gets used I'll need to make some adjustments, but all in all, it feels nice and sturdy, and should do the trick.

It was a bit challenging since some of the wood was bowed, knotty, etc. but I got it for pennies. I'd rather make use of the lumber if I can, rather than wasting it by buying new.

Chicklets050.jpg

TTs Chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm bout to build mine :D I've had the flu since last week :barnie so I haven't felt up to doing much. I pulled nails and measured and marked my boards. Hopefully in the next couple days I can get boards cut and start putting it together.

I have a question for ya'll how tall - the legs I mean - is your stand?

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is ours - Poetry in PVC ain't it :) I LOVE how light weight it is (I can move it around with ONE hand!) and how easy it was to build....took an afternoon with me moving at my snails pace I build in...I actually found the design on a website for I think Pholia Farm (spelling...I dunno if I got it right)...it's designed for dwarf goats, but works just fine for the bigger goats too!

2072_milkstand_006.jpg

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine is 14 inches from floor to the base of the platform. I have found I have to provide a "step up" for them as I've had a couple of goats fall jumping up. I have used a horse 2 step plastic mounting block (shown with the pump on it in the pic) that fits perfectly against the back of the stand. Currently I have a 4 inch tall platform in front of the stand with the milking machine on it, it is the width of the stand and the goats step on that then jump on the stand. Put that in place to give a bit of length to the tubing for the machine and to keep it up off the floor. COOL pvc stand! I keep my stand against a wall, the goats really jump hard up there and you want a sturdy stand or brace it good. A stand wide enough to sit on the edge is also handy. I trim feet on the stand also so it's nice to be able to hold the goat against the wall for support. The headlock has also been invaluable!

SDBoerGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I love the milking stands! I want to start milking our Boer/Nubian doe but I need my equipment. Would love the plans for the one made out of PVC, I think I could do that myself and surprise every one.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is from my journal. All of the lumber was from from my co-worker's deck that we took down. I purchased new, screws and the hook to hold it closed, about $6 total. Everything else is recycled. Years ago, when we put rubber mats in the horse stalls, I kept the piece we had to cut to make it fit. I knew they would come in hand some day. So the top is covered with rubber mat. I used the plans from Fiasco Farms. They were very easy to follow.

20120226_Milk_Stand_2.jpg
20120226_Milk_Stand_1.jpg

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
SDBoerGoats said:
I love the milking stands! I want to start milking our Boer/Nubian doe but I need my equipment. Would love the plans for the one made out of PVC, I think I could do that myself and surprise every one.
I can't do the "clicky link thing"....not very good at it...always mess it up... the stand is PLENTY big and sturdy enough for our Nubian doe Bella (who weighs in between 125 and 150 depending on who is working the weight tape) and she is also FEISTY and MEAN to boot! It's more like trying to keep a rabid elephant on the stand than a goat when she doesn't want her feet trimmed...

It was REALLY easy to put together...REALLY easy with great instructions on their site...

it's pholiafarm,com under milk and milking where I found the PVC instructions ...'member...I give up on the clicky link thing...

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Autumnprairie and I built hers extra long and narrow. Two reasons: My dairy goat is very long and hers are short. I milk Mama (the long big goat from the side) but the shorter goats are milked from the back. SO I can sit on the end of the milkstand (straddling it) and milk from the end of the stand which works great. And I can sit at the side of the stand without having to lean way in to reach Mama's teats.

We also built it tall so we can trim hooves very easily standing up. The girls are great on the stand. The only disadvantage to the narrow stand is there is no place to hang a bucket so we hang it on the wall at the end of the stand. I am going to make a hanger this week that will allow the bucket to hang from the stand. We have minis and big goats so we had to adapt the Fias Co farm plans to accommodate both goat sizes.