Milking Stands

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure the PVC would last longer than wood since it's "plastic" and takes hundreds of years to "decompose".
Maybe, maybe not... I've been using mineral feeders made with PVC pipe, and twice now a sheep has somehow broken them (I'm suspecting Elding, the ram). Both times have been in the dead of winter, and I think the PVC gets more brittle in the really cold temperatures.

Those of you in more temperate climates might not have to worry about this.

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here's ours! I'm very spoiled. It's a twelve head. We've actually added another six head on the end so that I can do eighteen goats a line. We're milking 73 right now, so it's about four lines, but old Nissa is milked from the floor and little Summer prefers the small single stand.

JbOrTnn.png

oypFDHr.jpg

XS06aci.jpg

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Here's ours! I'm very spoiled. It's a twelve head. We've actually added another six head on the end so that I can do eighteen goats a line. We're milking 73 right now, so it's about four lines, but old Nissa is milked from the floor and little Summer prefers the small single stand.

JbOrTnn.png

oypFDHr.jpg

XS06aci.jpg
The amount of jealousy is unreal :lol: But I am realistic and if I could just have the six head of one of these I would be a happy camper! 73 milking goats.... :ep:thwow. I couldn't even imagine... I applaud you and hope it is your full time job not something on the side!

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Epona142, your milking parlor and stanchion are amazing!

I know this is out of the subject, but we bought one of your bucklings (a Mini-Lamancha) last year. He was a great goat and threw beautiful kids (one of his doelings is in my profile picture)! Our three does that he bred each had twins - two bucklings and four doelings.
Here is the most recent picture of Romeo before we sold him (we would have kept him but we don't have the right fencing for a buck yet).
DSCN2836.JPG

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
So do you actually milk 18 at a time or are there just 18 on the platform at one time? I was told by two different people that I should try for more than 4 at a time. I have room for 8 but will be prepping 4 while milking 4 but would love to do the entire 8 at one time. I bought a head gate for 8 that is called a cascading head gate. The first goat has to walk all the way to the end to get to the open gate for them to get their grain. When they stick their head in for the grain it causes the gate next to them to open for the next goat and on down the line. Is that what you have? How do you get grain into the trough? Anything fancy?

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Goatgirl47 - Look how handsome he turned out! Looks a lot like his (probably half sister) Strawberry, who is one of our best larger Mini Mancha milkers. So glad he did well for you - makes me happy. :)

@babsbag - Eighteen on the stand(s), milk two at a time, although I've been pushing for the set up to do four at once ;) What you describe is very similar to what we have - they're trained (mostly) to go all the way down to the first one. Some of ours know how to flip up the headgate and take whatever spot they like though. Silly things.

Here's a video I made for the dairy a while back that shows a little bit of the stanchion in action - I have plans for a full on "milking" special but just haven't had the time! It also briefly shows the extra six head on the end now, that the pictures don't show.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice video. So then I guess my milking 4 at a time is probably a good setup. My equipment could probably handle 4 more clusters, the pump is HUGE, but I will start with 4 as that is what I have. Another question if I may...how do you clean the inflations between goats? Or do you?

I know my goats would stop at the first place they smell grain and that is why I got a head gate that is locked closed until the adjoining one opens. Hope it works. :)

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Udders are cleaned before milking, and we use both an in-line filtration and then filter again going into the chiller. If we happen to drop the inflations, or a rotten little beastie kicks it off, it shuts off automatically, and we wipe it out. If there is any question about the cleanliness of the milk (and we check the in line filters before pouring into the chiller) then we don't use it for cheese making.