Missed CD&T booster

Briarwood Cottage

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I purchased three bucklings this spring from two different farms. I gave them their CDT shots on 6/3. Organizing paperwork and realized only one of them had received the first CDT shot in May, but now it's been 7 1/2 weeks since I gave them the shot. Do I go ahead and give the two who didn't get the booster the second dose or start over again and give them another "first" shot and then a booster 4 weeks later? Thanks for advice.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
With our cattle, we would not start over, we would just go ahead and give the 2nd dose of whatever. 7 1/2 weeks is not that long.... but I don't have goats.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We would start over with our kids and lambs but only because we want to only have to give one annual booster in the future. Like with our sheep they get an annual booster at shearing time, the goats get their booster 2 weeks before our "normal" kidding time. It would be smarter and in the future we will be switching the sheep to boosters 2 weeks before lambing.

Luckily CDT is pretty cheap.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I purchased three bucklings this spring from two different farms. I gave them their CDT shots on 6/3. Organizing paperwork and realized only one of them had received the first CDT shot in May, but now it's been 7 1/2 weeks since I gave them the shot. Do I go ahead and give the two who didn't get the booster the second dose or start over again and give them another "first" shot and then a booster 4 weeks later? Thanks for advice.

I don't vaccinate. Bought it once never used it .Maybe I am messing up Just reverting back to how we did it when I was young ,in the last century.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't vaccinate. Bought it once never used it .Maybe I am messing up Just reverting back to how we did it when I was young ,in the last century.
We tried that.....bottle kids/lambs kept dying. So all bottle kids/lambs get CDT now, it literally costs us 80 cents per animal so I figure why not take the protection.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw this - have been off line for 5 days. I probably would have just given the final shot. Some discussion over doing it 30 days apart or up to 2 months apart. We give first 2 shots a month apart, but if something comes up it may go a week or so either way Never noticed any problem. I agree with @misfitmorgan - cheap insurance. We give sub Q inside the groin so that the leg movement will distribute the vaccine. No more vaccine lumps in past 15 years.