Missing alerts / notifications on followed threads

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've been having the same thing, but I think I might have figured it out. If you decide not to look at your alerts shen you get them to a certain thread,you will stop getting alerts to that thread even if you are still 'watching' the thread.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's it for me as I always go right down the alert line and visit every thread I've been alerted to. :hu I mean, I can STILL go to the recent posts link and page down through that to make sure I haven't missed anything, but that's more "work" :hide I like my easy when I can get it.;) This has only started happening to me in the past several weeks.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only time I have missed alerts is when I don't post on that particular thread for a long while. To my knowledge everything else is good.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
We're still trying to track down this issue.

For those having this problem, please:
  1. Try clearing your browser cache
  2. Test with a different browser (this helps us troubleshoot if it's a browser specific problem)
  3. Reply with your browser type and version
  4. Let us know how long the problem has been going on

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
  1. Machine has been rebooted therefore cache cleared

2. Chrome Version 54.0.2840.71 (64-bit) on OS-X Version El Capitan 10.11.6
  3. Um, happens all the time. Been happening as long as I can remember.

I'll have to use another browser for a bit to answer #2

ETA - Safari 10.0.1. Signed in, said nothing about alerts. I've read posts in 7 threads I am watching based on the blue dot and the glasses icons.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
1. I've gone as far as limiting cache to 5mb to stop chaching altogether to get around the issue. Since my internet speed and data limits are so slow/low now, I've expanded my cache back up to speed up page loading. I just go and clear it about every day and sometimes multiple times to get new posts to load.
2. I hate IE so rarely use it unless forced to. I know little to nothing about chrome. Just checked IE10 it shows a watched thread with blue dot but no indication of a new post in alerts. the most recent unread post was from 7pm yesterday (8 hours ago)
3. Firefox 47.0.1
4. It started happening about a 2-3 weeks ago for me and got progressively worse over time. It doesn't seem to be happening so bad right now as I type. There's one thread I'm following that indicates by blue dot that it has unread posts (from yesterday evening ~8 hours ago), but is not showing up in my alert window as existing with new posts.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, I just read something that might be helpful / related here on a forum about forums: https://theadminzone.com/threads/xe...s-yeah-i-have-notifications-no-i-dont.142099/

That describes the Alert settings and some problems people have been having with the software. I'm wondering if the problems posted there sound similar to what y'all are experiencing?

Here is a screenshot of the settings for notifications / alerts that I can edit for the entire site. I'm wondering it those settings seem to coincide with what you're experiencing?
upload_2016-10-31_17-58-29.png

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I got the alert for this one.

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score
For XenForo to send new alerts, the thread must be marked as completely read, otherwise you will not get new alerts. Do not know if for some reason it is not marking the thread as read for everyone.

@Nifty, I know this is an added expense, but if this continues you could add the add-on o_O https://xenforo.com/community/resources/persistent-alerts.4962/
Just a thought from a newbie to XenForo.