Molasses for NDG kid to give probiotics?

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So far this year we have had 25 bottle babies to raise...
Lamanchas, Mini Lamanchas, Nubians, and Nigerians...
we still have more does due Aug/Sept

I can tell you this... when it comes to reducing bottles and taking them away the Nigies protest the most! :lol:
Nigerians LOVE to eat... they have two loves
1. food
2. food

Moving goats as you have experienced ( I vaguely remember now) can be stressful.

Normally though when you stat taking bottles away there will be protest.
We start Nigerians out bottle feeding every 4 hours for the first few days then go to 4x day and then 3x day
at 6 weeks we go to 2x day 7weeks 1x day 8 weeks done!
The exceptions are for those that may have been itty bitty- usually one of the quads or quints may have an itty bitty so we keep them on longer.
The other breeds stay on for 3 -4 months and we schedule differently.

Nigies generally do get weaned by 8 weeks so they can be separated from mom and sisters so they don't breed them.

If you want to do 2oz twice a day go ahead... no harm. Or you can skip the morning bottle and go to 1x a day evening...
Either way they do holler because they think it is TIME for their bottle. :D

How are the boys doing otherwise?
If you want to give "treats" give a few alfalfa pellets. Safe and good calcium.

For sure -- when we got him back on to getting milk at 9 weeks (when he came home) it seemed to clear up some dog poo style poops we were getting.. and turn them back to berries. after each milk feeding his belly seemed to be more stable? I don't know if that's just crazy talk. The "Goat Whisperer" here that I was directed to by a bunch of people (She actually lives in southern bc so it isn't someone close who could come out) had mentioned she will keep her babies on milk as long as she can supplementing as she finds they end up with stronger immune systems. Any substance to that claim do you think? He was the smallest in a quad. At this point I'm just trying to finish off the last 2L of goat milk bahaha

They seem to be doing good!! They are great little dudes -- super friendly! They get really spunky for kids which is adorable. They are loving their goat boat-- and they are desperate to get more time out and about in the yard now that they've had small tastes of freedom! They are going through more hay than I had expected lol -- I can't believe it.

Latest posts