Mollys Herbals goat wormer

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Did you use the slippery elm powder? That is from bark, so it is irresistable to goats!
Where do you get it from?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can call around to your local health food stores or if you have an herbalist who sells stuff, you might find it. I used to get it at Whole Foods, but now they need to change their name to Processed Foods with Organic Fairy Dust. :rolleyes: You can also get it from various places online.

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
freemotion said:
You can call around to your local health food stores or if you have an herbalist who sells stuff, you might find it. I used to get it at Whole Foods, but now they need to change their name to Processed Foods with Organic Fairy Dust. :rolleyes: You can also get it from various places online.
:yuckyuck Thanks. I'll check around. Mine used to eat it top dressed on their grain... But lately they've been leaving a lot in the bottom of the dish so I think I'll have to start balling it again. I made balls before but didn't roll in the slippery elm bark and they were so messy.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What I do is mix the herbs with about an equal amount of molassess. I then mix in a bit of their grain to make it firm enough to stay in a ball, then roll the ball in their grain. They love it! I think they can smell it when I carry it down to the goat house, because they start getting all excited, running back and forth, and bleating like crazy. I then put the ball on top of their grain which they get when they're on the milking stand. I once put it in the bottom of the dish with their grain on top. BIG MISTAKE!. They dug through the grain to get at it, flipping it all out and making a huge mess. I won't do that again :lol:

Cara Peachick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am getting my first goats at the end of this month, but I've been using Molly's with my dogs and cat with great success. I've even used it on human children when they got pinworms. It tastes nasty :sick (to children) but it works!

Oh! and it seems as if the dosing is roughly by weight, so for nigerians, I would just reduce by a proportion. Figure a full size dairy goat is roughly 130 pounds (?) and reduce from there. It's not exact.

-Cara

herdnerd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to goats but I love the herbal dewormer. Is there a reason NOT to give goats peanut butter? My dogs love it that way.

The reason I ask is that there are two herbal ball formulas. The one for livestock uses molasses and the dog one uses peanut butter. I was just curious if one should not give goats peanut butter.

Deb

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
herdnerd said:
Hi

I am new to goats but I love the herbal dewormer. Is there a reason NOT to give goats peanut butter? My dogs love it that way.

The reason I ask is that there are two herbal ball formulas. The one for livestock uses molasses and the dog one uses peanut butter. I was just curious if one should not give goats peanut butter.

Deb
I think the goats will probably have a higher chance of getting choked on the peanut butter. I just mix it in with their food, but if you want to make sure everybody is getting the right dose, the balls are nice to use.

Mango

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I ordered Mollys Herbal that should be here today. I was hesitant about it but glad I read this thread. Now I feel better about it working.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So this herb gets rid of all worms?

I've also read somewhere that pumpkin seeds can be used as a natural de-wormer. Has anyone tried this with goats? ...Are pumpkin seeds safe for goats?

By-the-by, my "favorite" online herb store sells slippery elm bark powder for 9.50/ .5 pound. It can be found at this site:

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Slippery-Elm-Bark-Powder?s=slippery elm bark