Moving to Texas

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats @tressa27884 !!!

My husband open carries sometimes. I concealed carry, always. Go NH, all we have to do is apply for a permit at the police station and if you pass their background check you're golden. No classes required.

I know this is a bit older but just saw the thread.

Pretty restrictive over there in NH and TX ;)
In VT it is Buy gun, carry gun, open or concealed. Just not in courthouses, school buildings or school busses.

That said, other than 30-06's in the rear window of pickups during hunting season, I can't say I've ever seen anyone other than a police officer carrying a gun openly.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't call NH restricted. Just concealed carry. We can open carry all we want without a permit. I choose not to!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats @tressa27884 !!!

I know this is a bit older but just saw the thread.

Pretty restrictive over there in NH and TX ;)
In VT it is Buy gun, carry gun, open or concealed. Just not in courthouses, school buildings or school busses.

That said, other than 30-06's in the rear window of pickups during hunting season, I can't say I've ever seen anyone other than a police officer carrying a gun openly.

When I was younger, there were lots of rifles in the back window of pick up trucks. A gun rack for the truck was an essential accessory. To do that now would be stupid, it'd get your window smashed and rifle stolen.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
People should generally assume that if you have a rifle in your back window you probably have a pistol on your hip. Lol but no people don't do that around here. Less because of fear of it being stolen and more to avoid the anti gun crowd's comments.

My husband saw two separate people open carrying at the gas station this week. Don't see it too much.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Open carry is advertising. Dumb. If you're going to carry, make it concealed. If a robber comes in McDonalds and sees a gun on someone's hip, that guy will get shot before anyone else, so why announce it to the world? Be a sneaky so-and-so and hide that pistol.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, there's another way of looking at that as well... by carrying openly, you may just stop that potential armed thief before he tries anything because he knows if he misses, it could (most likely WILL) mean his life. Used to have and use the rifle rack, wouldn't do that now for many reasons. Anyway... kinda off the subject. Congrats @tressa27884 :clap Welcome to TX in advance. Yeah, I agree with Bay, closest to @Devonviolet and then me... Bay is further south, then even further south is @Ferguson K and @frustratedearthmother . I guess @animalmom is ~4 hours west of us. You'll have to share some pics of what you finally decided to buy! And once you get settled, we'll have to get together!