Ms. Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
good luck in your lionhead hunt. I wanted to let you know that in my own breeding rabbits experience I see more color traits from the doe not the buck so if you want blue I would go with a doe, where you should wait until 6 months anyway so you would be able to breed in July.
my NZ mix which dlenwas red and a white parents. she kindled colored kits 5 to 3. My California kindled 4 to 1 colored. the buck I use is albino so he has no color traits. He is 5 generation Albino.

Anyways good luck in your search.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I didn't notice REW being "difficult", not sure if the person meant temperament or genetic color. Our REW doe Angel was bred to our Vienna buck BigWig and she had one blue kit, one black kit and one REW kit, no crazy surprises. Vienna is pretty recessive so basically he's a "blank slate" and I bred him to Angel to see what colors she had in her background. I think her REW kit was the most handsome but the blue and black ones were cute too. BigWig is from a long line a breeder accomplished from breeding magpie out and Vienna in. BigWig wasn't one of his show keepers so I managed to get him at an awesome price and plan to find a good Vienna doe to continue the work he started. For now I'm taking advantage of his color recessive nature and breeding him to does I want little carbon copies of--Lola's magpie and harlequin genes for example. I dunno if that's scientifically correct but I'm self-teaching myself through experience and observation.

I'm hoping to get a litter of chocolates, a litter of harly/magpies, a litter of chinchilla/broken chinchilla and one surprise litter. None of our bucks and does are the same color yet because we love playing with colors. I'll narrow it down to chocolate, Vienna and chinchilla eventually--maybe--but for now I'm having fun playing with color and genetics. You should have the same fun and don't be afraid to get a broken LH solid colors are made that much more fun when the broken pattern shakes things up.

CYG

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I hate to admit this but Twinkles is helping me type this message. She seems to really like the pictures of your bunnies. I'm not sure if Rabbits can see 2 Dimension but she wiggles her tail and raises her ears.:rolleyes: She may have a crush on Dobby, lol.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
I didn't notice REW being "difficult", not sure if the person meant temperament or genetic color. Our REW doe Angel was bred to our Vienna buck BigWig and she had one blue kit, one black kit and one REW kit, no crazy surprises. Vienna is pretty recessive so basically he's a "blank slate" and I bred him to Angel to see what colors she had in her background. I think her REW kit was the most handsome but the blue and black ones were cute too. BigWig is from a long line a breeder accomplished from breeding magpie out and Vienna in. BigWig wasn't one of his show keepers so I managed to get him at an awesome price and plan to find a good Vienna doe to continue the work he started. For now I'm taking advantage of his color recessive nature and breeding him to does I want little carbon copies of--Lola's magpie and harlequin genes for example. I dunno if that's scientifically correct but I'm self-teaching myself through experience and observation.

I'm hoping to get a litter of chocolates, a litter of harly/magpies, a litter of chinchilla/broken chinchilla and one surprise litter. None of our bucks and does are the same color yet because we love playing with colors. I'll narrow it down to chocolate, Vienna and chinchilla eventually--maybe--but for now I'm having fun playing with color and genetics. You should have the same fun and don't be afraid to get a broken LH solid colors are made that much more fun when the broken pattern shakes things up.

CYG
Sorry for confusion, genetic coloring is difficult for Chocolate. Not REW. Actually there are some available with two breeders. Really nice.

Actually was thinking of your Dr. Pepper. but I might not get into chocolate color. I think sticking with Black gene, and working with diluted gene will give me something to play around with.

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
77Herford said:
I hate to admit this but Twinkles is helping me type this message. She seems to really like the pictures of your bunnies. I'm not sure if Rabbits can see 2 Dimension but she wiggles her tail and raises her ears.:rolleyes: She may have a crush on Dobby, lol.
Well tell Twinkles I'll let Dobby know a sweet Champaigne has a crush on him. lol.

Glad to see you are in better spirits. Hoping the Wife is as well.

K

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
77Herford said:
Well tell Twinkles I'll let Dobby know a sweet Champaigne has a crush on him. lol.

K
Thats pretty cute... :lol:
I wonder how she can tell he's a bunny.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
77Herford said:

K
Twinkles is a Dwarf, Belgium or Netherland I think.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Ms. Research said:
77Herford said:

K
Twinkles is a Dwarf, Belgium or Netherland I think.
That's right, you got the Champaignes. For meat.

K

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
YAYAYAYAY! :celebrate I am so excited for you and your lionheads!

When I had the Satins, I thought blue/black lines were really easy to work with. Those colors crossed well together and it really is quite easy to guess what you will get when dealing with recessives, like REW, Blue, chocolate, etc. Once you know a rabbit carries it, you know what you can cross it to to get that. Well, at least it works out easy in my head. If you want to see if a rabbit carries blue, you breed it to a blue rabbit and if ANY of the kits are blue, then the rabbit in question is a carrier. Or if either of their parents is that color then they are automatically a carrier too. I just found out that my NZW (out of two white parents of unknow lineage) carries blue because she produced blue kits when bred to my squirrel (blue chinchilla) mini satin :D I used to spend HOURS pouring over rabbit genetics... then DH got tired of hearing about it and got me goats to occupy my time LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts