Ms. Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
YAYAYAYAY! :celebrate I am so excited for you and your lionheads!

When I had the Satins, I thought blue/black lines were really easy to work with. Those colors crossed well together and it really is quite easy to guess what you will get when dealing with recessives, like REW, Blue, chocolate, etc. Once you know a rabbit carries it, you know what you can cross it to to get that. Well, at least it works out easy in my head. If you want to see if a rabbit carries blue, you breed it to a blue rabbit and if ANY of the kits are blue, then the rabbit in question is a carrier. Or if either of their parents is that color then they are automatically a carrier too. I just found out that my NZW (out of two white parents of unknow lineage) carries blue because she produced blue kits when bred to my squirrel (blue chinchilla) mini satin :D I used to spend HOURS pouring over rabbit genetics... then DH got tired of hearing about it and got me goats to occupy my time LOL
Hmmm,,,,,interesting. lol

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
So the search continues for the Lionhead of my dreams. Or should I say lionheads.

I've inquired on a few. Have my name on several lists. Plus waiting for a few to grow up just a bit to know the sex.

And I'm being selective this time. My last actual bunny purchase, I was looking for bunnies. Not looking for purebred or pedigrees. This time big difference and looking for a specific breed will take time.

Well not as nervous about colors as I was before. Now that I know where I'm going and what I want to achieve. I'm going to play it safe at the start. Stick with basic color (black with ability to dilute to blue) and then once established, then maybe start experimenting. Promised DH I would not have a house full of bunnies so really have to be careful what I do. Would love to experiment right away with colors, but I'm afraid of creating bunnies that have to place to go except here. People can get overwhelmed real fast if they don't watch.

So slow and steady I go. Wish me luck!

K

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
fortheloveofgoats said:
:celebrate Can't wait to see pictures. Hope you get what you want!
Keep your fingers crossed for me. Lionheads only have small litters. So I'm hoping for the best in April.

Plus I should know in a couple weeks about the sex of a Blue Tort. Love that color. Hoping for a Buck.

Thanks so much for thinking of me.

K

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
fortheloveofgoats said:
Keep your fingers crossed for me. Lionheads only have small litters. So I'm hoping for the best in April.

Plus I should know in a couple weeks about the sex of a Blue Tort. Love that color. Hoping for a Buck.

K
:fl thinking blue for you. What does a blue tort look like?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
autumnprairie said:
Ms. Research said:
fortheloveofgoats said:

K
:fl thinking blue for you. What does a blue tort look like?
Hard to explain what color a tort is.

Here's an example.

http://sites.google.com/site/wenuta...-nestbox-to-adulthood/blue-tort-aa-b-c--dd-ee

Thanks so much for thinking blue for me. Hoping to have cute baby bunnies here soon. But to have what I want, patience is the key. DANG! Oh well.

K

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ooo... they're cute! (I shouldn't have looked. :hide ) :love

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
wannacow said:
They do have a nice color to them. You made me giggle when you posted Rabbits are complicated. I noticed you have goats who I think are mind boggling. But aren't they fun to get to know?

DH wanted a Flemish Giant, but we just don't have the room. So we went with more smaller rabbits. I found out I could have more if I stuck with small. lol

It really tough with rabbits. They are prey animals and tend to disguise their illness until it's sometimes too late. Kind of like goats, with checking eyelids and poop. Got be on your toes that's all.

Awwww, go ahead. Get rabbits again. Why not think of meat rabbits this time.

K

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
This is going to probably come across wrong, but I don't mean it in any sort of a negative / snarky way.

I spend too much time fretting over / studying about / dealing with goats to put any effort into DH's rabbits. Or the chickens, for that matter.
If they get sick, we're toast. My brain can only handle so much info....

I am glad you are learning all you can, I may need to pick your brain if we do get a bunny issue sometime.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
This is going to probably come across wrong, but I don't mean it in any sort of a negative / snarky way.

I spend too much time fretting over / studying about / dealing with goats to put any effort into DH's rabbits. Or the chickens, for that matter.
If they get sick, we're toast. My brain can only handle so much info....

I am glad you are learning all you can, I may need to pick your brain if we do get a bunny issue sometime.
I hear ya on that Kim, if my chickens are eating and drinking I don't worry same with the rabbits. :hide

My goats tend to drive me nuts with everything my new one Whitney in particular :th :barnie
If I see them looking like crap or coats feel funny or they seem off I am posting here what do I do now.

Kthe blue tort is beautiful but I couldn't have a pet rabbit with raising the meat rabbits, I wouldn't let DH process the meat rabbits

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
wannacow said:
They do have a nice color to them. You made me giggle when you posted Rabbits are complicated. I noticed you have goats who I think are mind boggling. But aren't they fun to get to know?

DH wanted a Flemish Giant, but we just don't have the room. So we went with more smaller rabbits. I found out I could have more if I stuck with small. lol

It really tough with rabbits. They are prey animals and tend to disguise their illness until it's sometimes too late. Kind of like goats, with checking eyelids and poop. Got be on your toes that's all.

Awwww, go ahead. Get rabbits again. Why not think of meat rabbits this time.

K
I'm still thinking about a new one. I had wanted a FG for years as a house pet. When we moved to the country, DH said I could have one, but not in the house. We already had 2 dogs and a cat in the house. :) (now up to 3 dogs!) Anyway, I had her in the barn which is just like a house. She had the run of the place and loved it. She visited the goats when we got them and scared the cats. :lol: She was such a fun "little" thing. DD showed her at the fair this year. We're not sure if she picked something up there or if this had been building up all her life as she would not breed. Lots of nesting etc., but never any kits. Just not sure, but I sure loved her.

We've thought of meat rabbits, but I'm a little squeemish about processing a "warm fuzzy". I think I would be ok as log as the head was gone and they all looked alike. We've done chickens and turkeys alright, although we all had a few tears for a few, but we knew before we got them that they had a purpose. That really helps.

You're right too about goats. I'm a little overwhelmed with them too, but so far, no illness... ;)

Have fun on your search for lionheads! :caf

Status
Not open for further replies.