MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
09EEB565-8BCC-4AED-92A3-A7470E8363B3.jpeg
We have a pro already, he was out yesterday for his supervised time out and nailed that fat ole mouse. Actually I think it’s a vole, but either way he enjoyed his snack.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you guys thought of what you want to plant in the garden? Have you planted a garden before this?
I’m not sure what she’s going to want. We’ve always had at least a small garden. I built my wife a couple raised beds at the little house in town, she did lettuces, onions, tomatoes, broccoli, and a few other fun things like fancy colored radishes and carrots. But with the amount of space we have now she can really expand her options. She’s the real green thumb I just help her do what ever she tells me to. But I’m sure it will be similar as before just a bigger scale. We have a pretty short growing season so mostly veggies. Melons and other fruit type plants don’t do well with out a greenhouse.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
With the self-sufficient goal you have, you also want to think about what veggies you want to plant that you can can up, or freeze, or store.
Do you or your wife do any canning? If not, she can start looking up videos and reading up on how to do that. Just a suggestion. :)
Looks like Montana is in growing zone 3-5, NY is zones 3-7, we are in zone 5b. Not sure which part of Montana you are located.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
With the self-sufficient goal you have, you also want to think about what veggies you want to plant that you can can up, or freeze, or store.
Do you or your wife do any canning? If not, she can start looking up videos and reading up on how to do that. Just a suggestion. :)
Looks like Montana is in growing zone 3-5, NY is zones 3-7, we are in zone 5b. Not sure which part of Montana you are located.
She wants to learn how to can for sure. We’re close to Helena. The house has an old greenhouse attached to it that I want get fixed up for her starter plants that will give us more options too.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Also you might want to consider fencing for your garden. We have to fenced in ours to keep the deer and rabbits out.
Yeah we’re going to fence it, I’m actually looking at the electric netting fence for the garden.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She wants to learn how to can for sure. We’re close to Helena. The house has an old greenhouse attached to it that I want get fixed up for her starter plants that will give us more options too.
Somewhat similar to the growing zone as mine here. Yeah greenhouse is nice, I wish I have one...but I make do without. I just look for the short-season varieties when it comes to melons.
I don't have a pressure canner so I can only can the ones that are safe using the hot water bath method. We make a lot of tomato sauce and salsa, we will can those. So we plant a lot of tomatoes, basil & parsley.

My husband was the one who taught me how to can tomato sauce. I learned how to do jams and pickles from https://www.freshpreserving.com/canning-101-getting-started.html . That was my starting point. This one is a good beginner's guide as well: https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02...ng-ball-jars-materials-siphoning-recipes.html

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s the real green thumb
While I think of it/while I'm shopping for it I should say, late fall(after the first frost) is the time to plant garlic. Just want to let you know in case you might be interested in planting some. I normally plant them in one end of the garden or keep them in a different spot than the garden. That way they are out of the way when it's time to till the garden in the summer.